Altitude tiers value

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Aug 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last couple of years, I have flown just over 60K miles per year, and have thus comfortably made E50K status. This year, I expect to be just shy of 75K. Are the incremental benefits from E50K to E75K worth trying for it?

Near as I can see, the differences from P25K to E35K and from E35K to E50K are worth the effort, as they involve real advantages such as lounge access and Star Alliance Gold status. But I'm not sure I see the extra value in E75K as being quite so significant. A few extra upgrade certificates and an extra day to get listed for an upgrade, as well as another 25% bonus miles on flights seem to sum it up.

Am I missing something?

2. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    The benefits you mention plus a darker blue card are about all.

The big steps are E50 and SE.

Absolute99 and YULtide like this.
  3. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As slalom posted, E75 is a minor stepping stone between significant levels - although in addition to the extra day for your eUpgrade request, it does place you a tier higher in priority when it goes to the gate.

YULtide and tomh009 like this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I'm sure the darker blue card is well worth it. ;)

As it works out, I now have another trip planned, which should put me over the top, so I'll see all those benefits next year. Probably back to E50K in 2016.

Absolute99 likes this.
  5. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gives you the right to be a snob to the E50 flyers in the priority line!

jaysona and YULtide like this.
  6. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two important benefits:
    1. You are ahead of the hordes of E50K's when it comes time to be upgraded.
    2. Free access to "preferred" seats to all destinations (not just US and Canada as with E50K)

jaysona, YULtide and Absolute99 like this.
  7. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great point - I'd forgotten that international seating was devalued for E50K's.

YULtide likes this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll try not to gloat too much, as I'll probably be joining their ranks again.

tomh009 and slalom like this.
  9. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I look it as a badge of honor. The occasional year when I had mostly local work for business, I proudly carried my "prestige" card and left year-old SE tags on my luggage!

YULtide likes this.
  10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    You poser!

Absolute99, YULtide and ACMM like this.
  11. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, at least they're Altitude tags, I hope! I've seen two people walking around with old beige Elite tags on their bags, and no signs of current tags. Don't think those would pass inspection :)

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely would not pass to the discerning eye ! :D

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

Absolute99 likes this.
  13. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see federal cabinet ministers with very current MM tags on their bags. That makes my "discerning" eye a little red. :(

southender and YULtide like this.
  14. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the Altitude tags to identify my checked baggage (on those rare occasions that I do check bags: 'carry-on only' is the general rule hereabouts). I'm not sure that I would be comfortable with using them on my cabin-baggage, as it strikes me as being a wee bit ostentatious. My choice, of course, since I rather prefer it when people don't know who I am. Some days, when life gets tough, I'm not sure that **I** want to know who I am, either.

Oh, back to the original question? Let's reframe it, and say that 75,002 miles is considerably handier status than 74,998 miles. The extra day's lead time cannot hurt, either.

Only time will tell whether we have a new level, say SE150, for next year. Would not be at all surprised to see it, and also would not be at all surprised to eventually see the structure be P35, E75, SE150 and that's that. Not quite at 150 yet myself this year, but sneaking up on it fast. Probably mid-November, so no early-qualification in the cards for yours truly....

YULtide likes this.
  15. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll watch for you in 1A.

mevlannen likes this.
  16. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    We can both ask the in-charge for a double Johnnie Walker in black coffee -- that can be our signature drink!

It's been a long, long, loooong run of sitting in Row 1; gotten to be quite a habit. At least now the SDs recognise me (although there is the caveat that I'm on their 'problem children' listing with all the other SEMM gang.

I promise myself that, when I finally retire, I shall never set foot in an airport again. Trains or nothing, it'll be. More likely 'nothing', as I live on an island that has an utterly non-functional railway. :/

ACMM and YULtide like this.