"Altitude" has now been launched

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by The Lev, Sep 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    pcarol, ACMM and chef4u like this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of the other names and designs were a bit out there. Time for assessment!

ACMM likes this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the 35K Elite tier was going to disappear.

Not sure if the 35K option had previously excluded these bennies:

With the changes for the 2013 program, members achieving this tier will be entitled to Star Alliance Silver recognition, which replaces Star Alliance Gold. To that end, as priority baggage handling is a core Star Alliance Gold benefit, it will no longer be offered to members achieving this tier level on Air Canada flights. In addition, members will have access to select Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and transborder departure zones of Canadian airports, along with those in Los Angeles and New York, LaGuardia. However, members will still be able to choose complimentary access to international Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges as a Select Privilege. Additionally, these members will be entitled to upgrades using eUpgrade Credits:
    • From Tango Plus and Latitude fares, for travel within North America (including Sun destinations)
    • From Latitude and select Tango Plus fares, for travel to international destinations
    Members will continue to enjoy such benefits as Air Canada priority airport & reservation services, Priority Rewards, three complementary checked bags on Air Canada flights and more.

pcarol and ACMM like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing I noted was fewer eUpgrades at 100K and at 20K intervals.

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overall as an SE not much affecting me aside from the fewer eUpgrades ... still reading through it all but for me pretty much a wash and no way I will be doing an 11,001+ one way trip to worry about the eUpgrade credits needed for that :) So it seems the eUpgrades are the same for the various levels .. actually seems to be fewer required on Tango+-fares on 500 miles trips than currently required

6. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a new e-u/g chart? :eek:

ACMM likes this.
  7. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least Mrs. Chef4u can share her e-upgrades with me since she will be at 35K. As for me, no status :(

ACMM and Gargoyle like this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes - here is the link for you :)

maradori likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to determine if my current drive to 75K is only a pit stop to 100K- decisions, decisions!

ACMM likes this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I have to admit one thing - given all the new levels and changes I am glad I have already requalified for SE for 2013-2014 -- less stress and in the end I think a wash - I do not like losing 17 eUpgrades over the course of hitting 100K again but if that is the only thing - I guess I will have to sneak in more Y fares :D

12. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    oh nice, thanks!! I probably skipped through it assuming there were no changes (under the assumption AC knows how fierce we top tiers can get with e-ups).

Holy cow, 11k+ miles cost a crapton of e-creds. Maybe I'll send a pop quiz over to ACTT or AY ... how the heck is it possible to hit 11k anyways??

ACMM likes this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering about that too - but playing around on GCM shows LHR-YYZ-SYD as > 13000! :eek:

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad news for 35K folks. Also slightly bad for 100K folks. Good for 50/75k and 200K+ folks. Rich are getting richer.

pcarol and canucklehead like this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not say slightly bad for SE 100K - the real item is the 17 less eUpgrades ... nothing really more substantial IMHO. As an SE for 15 years I am sure I can accommodate this with proper fare purchases to use less eUpgrades ... still much better than the old coupon method for sure!

16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually those 17 eUpgrades become 12 as we can get 5 more in our choice at the outset - so giving us 5 more now and not at 100K is a wash - 12 eUpgrades throughout the year is manageable ... not that bad overall - once again IMHO

17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely a hit for those < 50K as they lose *A GOLD - but that is a good perk so if you want it you fly for it :) Me? 1MM so I have Elite 50K for life - so *A GOLD for life - a good thing ;)

18. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better make sure it is not the 35K Elite they are promising (as that was the original tier)! :eek:

YULtide and ACMM like this.
  19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope. It is the 50K elite. Thankfully :)

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was corrected offline. Thank-you. LHR-YYZ-SYD is based on LHR-SYD so may not be 13K. Not at my laptop to check. There must be routing however. It is in the program :D

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

21. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    As SE, here's how I think it shakes out for me:

Ehancements
    • Free bike transportation - saves $60 each way
    • 5 additional eUpgrades at the start of the year (but see downgrades for the bad news)
    • Reduction to 4 eUpgrdes for <500 miles – not that I use them for such short flights, but if I had some to burn at year-end might be good
    • Ability to gift 50K to someone else – could then “take” their 40 eUpgrades or save eUpgrades that I otherwise would have used on them. But I'd have to give up mileage bonus to do it.
    • eUpgrade on ACV bookings. Given that you can usually buy this for ~$300 RT, I’m not sure why anyone would waste eUpgrades for this new “benefit”.
    • eUpgrade North America Aeroplan Classic bookings – personally I think I’d rather burn the points than the eUpgrades on this
    • Fewer people in the “International” MLL – although they really didn’t ever seem that busy to me. It is the domestic ones that are zoos.
    • Super Elite 100K members will have access to Preferred Seats with any fare” – I presume this means if I book a Tango fare and pay to select seats, I can get “preferred” seats – very minor benefit. If it means I can get “free” seats on a Tango fare, it is more interesting!
    • Waiver of one flight change fee with Aeroplan - potential $90 savings
    Downgrades
    • 12 eUpgrades instead of 15 means net 12 less upgrades to 100,000 (15 total for me since I usually reach 120,000. Works out to one fewer International upgrade for me.
    • Now competing with the 75K’s for exit rows
    • Only one day headstart to book eUpgrades compared to 75K’s and 2 days for 50K’s (versus 3 days headstart today)
    • 32 (eek) eUpgrades if I ever were to do China/Korea to EZE/SCL.
    Overall I consider it to be a downgrade from last year, but at least they have given us some new things this year. The 75K thing provides a bit of a soft landing if/when I fall short of SE.

southender, ACMM and guinnessxyz like this.
  22. lhr-yvr-syd is 12480 miles

23. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I certainly find it an interesting read to see these things: "Air Canada’s partnership with the Aeroplan Program" My how the old days have changed ...

As for the names Elite 35K and Elite 50K, given that many car names now includes some numeric reference (Infiniti Q35, Infiniti Q37, I guess it was only time. Quite interesting. So, are there three levels or five levels given the similar names of the middle Elite.

maradori likes this.

24. Tough deal if on a MR!!!

"Overall I consider it to be a downgrade from last year, but at least they have given us some new things this year. The 75K thing provides a bit of a soft landing if/when I fall short of SE. "

the other thing not addressed is the continuance of ecerts beyond Feb.28, especially for those who get a lot of mileage in the last quarter of a year which leaves them with a shorter time to use the ecerts.

25. We all hope AC will some day claw back the program from Aeroplan and internalize it.