Altitude Enhancements Announced

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Oct 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received the following:

Below you’ll find some important updates regarding Air Canada AltitudeTM in 2015. These changes are being introduced following a thorough benchmarking exercise in order to competitively position Air Canada alongside the world’s leading carriers. Air Canada remains committed to offering one of the world’s best frequent flyer programs.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement

The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement refers to the minimum number of Altitude Qualifying Miles and Altitude Qualifying Segments that must be flown on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge in order to reach any Altitude status level.

500 Mile Minimum

For travel as of March 1, 2015, miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star AllianceTM member airlines. Mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum.

eUpgrades

eUpgrades to Business Class
    For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. Furthermore, the number of eUpgrade Credits Altitude members can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is changing.

Introducing eUpgrades to Premium Economy
    In early 2015, Altitude members will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
    Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super EliteTM 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding

In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that Altitude members get even more out of their Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges

Complimentary access to International Maple LeafTM Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege for Altitude EliteTM 35K members. Altitude Elite 35K members will continue to have access to all Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and transborder departure zones of Canadian airports, as well as those located in New York (LaGuardia) and Los Angeles. They will also be able to choose a 50% discount on the purchase of any Maple Leaf Club membership as part of their Select Privileges.

Preferred Seats

Altitude Elite 50K members can now enjoy complimentary access to more Preferred Seats with the purchase of a Flex fare for travel within North America. Plus, they will also receive a 50% discount on the Preferred Seat fee with the purchase of a Flex fare, on flights from Canada to international destinations.

Altitude Elite 35K and Altitude PrestigeTM 25K members can now enjoy access to more Preferred Seats at a 50% discount on the Preferred Seat fee with the purchase of a Flex fare for travel originating in Canada.

Flight Rewards

Introducing Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
    In early 2015, Aeroplan® and Altitude members will be able to redeem their Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards
    For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the flight reward fuel surcharges for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for Altitude members. This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

Furthermore, at the same time, the flight reward fuel surcharges for travel between Canada and other international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

Flight Reward change fee waivers
    Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015.

Priority Rewards
    In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations per member, per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015.

Click here to learn more about these important program changes.

Air Canada

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    danielwood, YULtide, Sammich and 3 others like this.
  2. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    New minimal AQM's:

• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
    Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
    Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
    Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
    Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS​

Loss of the 500-mile minimum is going to hurt, since I would usually do a YOW-YUL-YYZ or YOW-YYZ-YUL. If I only earn 125 miles now... not worth the time required.

Also, threshold upgrades only start at 60K now, and are at 80K, 100K, and then 200K. After that, every 100K up to 700K.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    uggboy likes this.
  3. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also, the AQMs are not just AQMs, but must be earned on AC metal (AQM or AQS must be earned on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge)

This will hurt...I have a ton of UA travel!

Flyer1976, Absolute99 and uggboy like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nasty changes on the upgrade front.

5. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed - 2015 was likely my last year working full anyway - and I had always planned to purchase revenue J on whatever airline for personal travel after that anyway - this is just painful for work - but meh - will recover

YULtide, londoncalling and Sammich like this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Retiring? :p

May I suggest SQ ;)

londoncalling and ACMM like this.
  8. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one benefit I see (as an SE) is the removal of YQ on AE redemptions. That is a great benefit... but not when you balance it with the loss of eUpgrades.

I will grant you that as an SE I've been privileged the last few years to be up high on the waiting list and avoid the new co-pay, but below SE there are minimal benefits now. Losing the chance to earn upgrades - and having to spend more to play Aerolotto - is a big concern.

londoncalling and ACMM like this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    As soon as possible - yes :)

Last I checked they did not fly to the UK :)

YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  10. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not agree more with your assessment.

Absolute99 and londoncalling like this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, at SE level 47 AC flights for 50K miles. I may need to do some more connections next year ...

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it not either 47 flights or 50K miles?

YULtide and londoncalling like this.
  13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the one good thing.

But 26 eUpgrade credits for a flight to Asia (up from 17), and certainly less in threshold credits. Not clear yet how much they will hand out up front, but not expecting a lot. I think I'll be reduced to buying upgrades to PE ...

YULtide and Absolute99 like this.
  14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's unclear in the announcement. It could be just one, based on how you qualify, or it could be you need to meet both.

Am assuming worst case for now ... :(

15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... as am I - in which case this will be my last year as SE ... 100K on 37 segments - not willing to play the game - will give $$ to whatever airline I want for personal trips and it likely will not be AC.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jeebus...they've eviscerated the program. And this is on top of other cuts in prior years.

Ouch.

My read is that to reach SE100K you need 50K AQMs on AC metal if you qualify by miles or 47 AQS on AC metal if you qualify on segments. That's the only rational way to play it. Requiring 47 AQS for a YVR-HKG 8x r/t customer who gets to 100k AQMs that way would be ridiculous.

17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do agree that's the rational way. If I were motivated, I would ask on TOBB. :rolleyes:

Sammich likes this.
  18. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually less than in the past! Maybe most of the angry ones have already left AC? Still, I could not bring myself to post a question there ...

Sammich likes this.
  19. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use to be SE100K long time ago. I left for a different reason (customer service) but I'm glad I did. Sucks to see them devaluing the program again and again...

20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    ouch. looks like my flights will now get me 89 miles per trip! :eek:

the changes look pretty dramatic all around, none it seem to the benefit of the consumer (aside from PremEcon upgrades)

YULtide, londoncalling and Sammich like this.
  21. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is the sweet spot they are trying to hit. PE will be a big money maker for them.

22. londoncalling

Status Points:
    W/o sounding pedantic its all about getting revenue for as many seats as possible. When airlines are flying full freebies are not good for the bottom line.

23. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I don't see anything about eCerts when you pick your "benefits" nor do I see anything about Ecerts awarded with pass purchases.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If we're going to get truly pedantic then it is really all about getting the most revenue possible for the planes flying in the network which means playing games on a much bigger scale. It is easy to fill every plane to near 100% with passengers. It is harder to maximize the revenue or profits of the network overall. Airlines want to have higher LFs but 100% across the system is not good.

25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, if I have anything nice to say about the announcement, it would be the fuel surcharge in Canada and between Canada/US awards for Altitude members and for Int'l destinations for SEs on AC flights.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards
    For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the flight reward fuel surcharges for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for Altitude members. This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

Furthermore, at the same time, the flight reward fuel surcharges for travel between Canada and other international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

YULtide likes this.