Alternatives to Google Reader?!?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by edekba, Mar 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just found out that google is discontinuing gReader!

Anyone know of a good alternative that works on multiple platforms & integrates with Reeder/etc

elstertjen, sobore, Muerl and 2 others like this.
  2. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just found out about this and was wondering the same thing. So sad that Reader will be no more. :(

edekba likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm already annoyed that Apple discontinued RSS support in Mail. Now this...

cguizlo and edekba like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry. :(

If you search for patents issued to Jessica Kahn, you'll see she's also got a good chunk of the patents for web browser RSS. (Mail used the same back end.) She's now a VP at Disney Mobile.

What bothered me was that pretty much everyone back ended their data stores to Google Reader, so now I'm wondering what'll happen to all the RSS readers out there.

robmac and edekba like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    exactly! I used a variety of front ends (http, newsnetwire, and more recently Reeder) ... im so disappointed.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which _was_ a good thing because I could access my feeds from all these different devices (iPad Reeder app, Android phone Google Reader app, Windows FeedDemon, Mac NetNewsWire, ...) and have the same feeds and their "read" state synchronized.

I.Hate.You.Google (today at least).

Tenmoc, akcae and edekba like this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel and edekba like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the same feeling .. today & when they announced they bought Sparrow. (I just bought the iOS & OSX version)

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, my Google hate for the day is the killing of Snapseed for the desktop.

edekba likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So they are also killing CalDav. What's that going to do to various calendar clients? What does the Mac calendar app use to sync with Google Calendar?

edekba likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how they can truly work around it unless there is an alternative backend service that everyone agrees to use. I don't just want to use Reeder (there isn't an app for Android, I believe). Heck, I'd be happy to pay a few bucks a month for such a service.

Tenmoc and edekba like this.
  12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, several other RSS readers (e.g., Pulse) already offer different back ends. I've never used Google Reader as a backend myself. What will likely die is a big meta-backend that works for multiple front ends, though.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are they vendor-specific backends? That doesn't solve the problem. I don't need a backend, period, if it doesn't work with multiple different vendors' apps, because there is no way I can standardize on the same app from all vendors. I have Reeder on iPad and on the Mac, but not on Windows or Android, for example.

Maybe someone needs to take on the GDS-type role of a backend for all those frontend vendors.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an example, Pulse has iOS, Android, and web, so in theory it'd fit your needs. Feedly's site's getting slammed so I can't check right now, but they run on multiple platforms, too.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I saw Feedly's site. Don't think Pulse is my type of app, from what I have seen.

16. SAND

SAND Member

Status Points:
    I use Freedly rss reader. Its quite nice.

doc likes this.
  17. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    This makes me go errrr ><.

18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Feedly has ramped up bandwidth and will offer a seamless transition from Reader

Tenmoc and iolaire like this.
  19. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait...what? Maybe it's because I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet today, but are is Google Calendar being decomissioned too?

I'm going to miss reader, but losing google calendar would really mess up my routine!

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're not shutting down Calendar. They're shutting down access to the CalDav API for any developers which are not whitelisted. My guess is they want to start putting up the walls and pushing users towards their own products rather than make it easy for people to use a third party product with a competitor's OS.

Makes sense, even though it sucks... You used to be able to use Google as the back end to all your digital goodies with little effort. My guess is that this experience will be reserved in the future for Android and Chromium users, and everyone on Windows Phone or iOS will have to jump through hoops.

As per Reader's demise, it wasn't really unexpected, as the rumors had been floating around for quite some time. My guess is that -- just like many other Google products -- it will simply evolve and get rolled into something else. A lot of the stuff from Wave ended up on gmail or Plus, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of the Reader functionality end up there.

What sucks is that it was around for so long that people have serious dependencies on it, so it's going to affect a lot of users when it goes away - in its current form.

edekba likes this.
  21. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is very simple, just load Feedly in Chrome and click the link, it links to Google automatically - http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/google-reader/. The downside for me is it looks like there is no IE client? I can use Chrome at work but prefer the company standard IE.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using reader. Both in chrome and also the reader app on my android products.

Last night when I read this, I installed Feedly and Taptu. I prefer Feedly, but we'll see how it goes.

I especially like that offer dark/night themes so my phone isn't lighting up the room/plane/train/etc.

23. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just tried Feedly; its too pretty =/ or maybe i'm just not used to the way it works yet. However it still relies upon gReader @ the backend i think?

does anyone know of a good backend for RSS feeds that can integrate w/variety of fronends?

Tenmoc likes this.
  24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are working a project to import your feeds to their back end when reader goes away.

Project Normandy

edekba likes this.
  25. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool :) I also saw this ...

Om Malik on March 14, 2013 at 8:34 am said:
    Will it work with third party readers such as Reeder.
    • [​IMG]
      @feedlyon March 14, 2013 at 8:49 am said:
      Hi Om. Yes. Our goal is to have the API be identical to the Google Reader un-official API. So any client which plugs in to the API should be to easily migrate to Normandy. There are just a few things around authentication and ordering of categories and feeds which might be different. Please let me know if you have any other questions. -Edwin
    Also some more alternatives
    http://www.zdnet.com/goodbye-google-reader-here-are-five-rss-alternatives_p4-7000012604

Tenmoc likes this.