Alternate ways to use skymiles

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As we all know, it can be very frustrating to use SkyMiles to book flights. However, this does not mean that they are useless.

Two other worthwhile ways I've found to use SkyMiles are Gift Cards and Hotels:
    • Gift Cards:
      The cost in miles for gift cards depends on your elite status and whether you have a Delta AMEX credit card. As a PM with the card, I'm still seeing the $100 AMEX gift cards for 11,000 miles, and $50 Panera gift cards for 5,500 miles. Some of the store specific cards have better rates, but only useful if you're going to patronize those stores. For example, I can get $100 Footlocker or Appelbee cards for 10,500 miles. These rates are slightly below the optimal 1 cpm (1¢ per mile) rate, but considering the inflation and devaluation of miles they can be a reasonable exchange.

Note that different people are finding widely variable pricing on these cards. What I'm quoting seems to be the best rates they're offering.

• Hotels:
      I'm seeing lots of hotels in major markets for 6,000 to 12,000 miles a night. You won't earn points on your hotel program, but since I normally only stay about 15 nights a year in hotels that isn't a big issue for me.

• Car Rentals:
      I've never tried this- anyone want to reply with their experiences?

• Sky Miles Marketplace:
      Generally not a good deal, you're usually buying stuff at 1/2 cpm, a lousy rate.

Biu likes this.
  2. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I redeemed 105k SM for $1,000 in AMEX gift cards over the holidays. At the same time I transferred over 50k AMEX MR points to my SM account and received 75k SM plus FO status. All in all I felt they were excellent deals!

piqaro and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm quite happy with my sky miles TV. Sometimes when you have sky piles and no vacation time it doesn't matter what the redemption rate is.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Good for you, spend those miles !

5. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    The gift cards are already spent! [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gift cards and hotels and some straggling award tickets creatively booked and re-booked are about the only uses I have for DL's SkyPesos.

7. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW, in the past I only used my miles for international travel but the AMEX gift card exchange was too good to pass up!

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I generally used mine for two things, Int'l F and Y tickets for family members. But I've been using them for gift cards and hotels lately.

9. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    My rate is 13,500 but there are times it would be better to redeem the cards instead of redeeming the regular award and just buying the ticket with said AMEX cards. My SkyMiles balance is pretty high and I may be getting some of these cards soon.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Do you have the DL Amex Plat card? Cardholder seem to get a better rate.

11. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No. What in the world do I need more Delta miles for? :) I don't exactly want to say my balance here but suffice to say I have a lot.

12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We know you have a gazillion. I meant that the optimal rate is 11,000 miles for a $100 card, but they're charging you 13,500.

Indiana Delta Diamond likes this.
  13. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I got that. I just don't know if I want the card just for that. I am shopping around for a new rewards card, though.

It's less than a gazillion. I am still in the millions. :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  14. Flyer_Esq
    Original Member

Flyer_Esq Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a lot of gift cards!

15. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used SkyMiles lately to purchase AMEX gift cards. These were great for Christmas presents.

Also I have booked two hotel stays with my SMs in Manila. No problems with the booking, I entered by Hotel card # on the form for special requests and both times it was relayed to the hotel. Very convenient, and quite close to the hotel rate at 1 cent/mile.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been using mine exclusively for flights. At the rate of devaluation that's occurred over the last 5 years along with the merging of my old DL FF miles and the loss of those sweet, low mile award flights to Hawaii and other legacy DL awards, it makes no sense for me to keep too many in the bank.

Just cashed in for trips to AUA in F for later this year and still have 100's of thousands to burn

17. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like to keep about 200,000 skymiles in my account, so when my account gets higher, and I don't have award travel coming up, I redeem for the Amex gift cards. I keep miles for a few airlines, and it seems like my award travel usually ends up on American, so the gift cards seem to be a great option.

Gargoyle likes this.