Already qualified for Platinum on SPG. Is there any point in hitting Plat in MR?

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by slalom, Sep 26, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    With closing of the deal for Starwood, and the announced linking (not merger yet) of rewards programs, I'm trying to figure out how to optimize for this year and next.

For the past several years I've managed to achieve Plat in SPG, and Plat in MR (and Diamond in Hilton, for that matter!). This does take some "purposeful booking" and occasionally staying at a less convenient property to hit my nights.

I've already cleared Plat in SPG this year, and am working towards PLAT in MR. I will make it, but it does require to go out of my way on a couple of trips to stay at a Marriott property.

Given the linking of accounts, is it worth the trouble to achieve top-tier in both programs?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Kalboz likes this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't see any reason it's worth it if you already have SPG Plat. There doesn't appear to be any benefit once you've status matched. Have you linked your accounts yet?

Only reason I can think of would be pursuit of lifetime status with Marriott, though I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for that.

alfagirl, slalom and Kalboz like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you didn't realize that when you link your account you will be MR Plat?

slalom and alfagirl like this.
  4. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    you took the words right out of my mouth...

slalom likes this.
  5. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...Yes I did...and I am currently MR Plat based on last year's loyalty. I had sketched out the path to 75 nights through the year end, but with the announcement I don't think it will make any difference so I might as well stay where I want. For anyone else if you have a choice, it only takes 50 nights at Starwood - might as well go there!

6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, it is mentioned in this thread that there are 3-4 tiers in Platinum. Don't know if that makes a difference.

7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    But there really AREN'T, why don't you check facts before posting?
    Yes, there are additional perks for 75 or 100 nights, but they are minimal and all the IMPORTANT ones (ug to suites, lounge access) come with Platinum level!

8. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I said it was mentioned in the thread. I have no knowledge of SPG, so passed the link to the thread and what was mentioned. Make your decision; don't be rude.

9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't mean to be rude, but passing on misinformation is not helpful ;)

10. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now, educate me. In reading that thread, it appears that there are not tiers, but possibly better treatment. Is that a true statement?

(And in my world, better treatment would point to sub-tiers.)

11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this bonus benefit (for lack of a better term,) does have value.
    upload_2016-9-28_19-35-24.png
    Would the Marriott & SPG nights be combined to achieve the eligible nights? I don't know, but I doubt it. If they would, there may be an advantage to continued nights.

13. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never found the additional benefits at 75 and 100 nights on Starwood to make that much of a difference. I will probably hit 75 at Marriott regardless so not really a big deal.