Aloft showers / free systemwide

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by lili, Apr 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to locate this tile. Anyone have an idea about the manufacturer or where I can locate it?
    Silly question, but I'm constantly amazed at the knowledge of MPers and believe you guys know everything. I'll even donate a United systemwide to anyone who can steer me to a verified supply of it in Southern California.

IMG_6232.jpg

2. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow what an amazing offer!

DYKWIA and lili like this.
  3. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really want that tile and United really doesn't want my SWUs.

BTW, the SWU expires 10/31/12 rather than 1/31/13 as it should if UA/CO hadn't screwed it up.

Scottrick and perryplatypus like this.
  4. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't need an SWU but can you call the aloft hotel where you saw this or SPG directly and ask? Are all the Aloft branded with this tile?

5. AnthroFlyer
    Original Member

AnthroFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Contact True North Designs. They designed the bathrooms for the Dallas Aloft and maybe other properties as well.

lili likes this.
  6. AnthroFlyer
    Original Member

AnthroFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. DYKWIA
    Original Member

DYKWIA Silver Member

Status Points:
    lili: I'd contact the Rockwell group. They do a lot of hotels and i'm sure they've had these requests before.

lili likes this.
  8. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Rockwell Group has some really high end stuff. Glad to know I chose well even from a low end hotel. Email has been sent, we'll see what happens. Probably discontinued stuff, Aloft Austin opened two years ago. Thanks, DYKWIA and AnthroFlyer.

9. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Received response from the Rockwell Group this morning. Surprised me actually, and says a great deal about the firm. ^ ^ I replied and included photos :)

Dear *******,
    Is there a particular Aloft location? Our firm designed the prototype of Aloft depending on the location the materials were probably source locally?

Best regards,
    PR Manager
    Rockwell Group

10. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that Diffenbaugh were the lead builders for the aLoft in Rancho Cucamonga. They might be able to tell you who they subcontracted the bathroom construction to: http://www.diffenbaugh.com/contact.php

Or, if you're on LinkedIn you could try contacting the Superintendent for that build directly: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dave-hill/32/315/4a5

I'm not sure if the tile is exactly the same as the one you posted though - it's been awhile since I've been to that hotel.

lili likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The tile in the picture looks like what was used in the aloft Minneapolis. It opened in late summer 2008.

lili likes this.
  12. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Let me send a note to SPG HQ and see what they say.

perryplatypus and lili like this.
  13. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMG_6231-001.jpg
    Thanks everyone for the help. I knew you guys knew everything. Haven't heard back from Rockwell yet. All I need is the mfg name. It's an Aloft brand standard so should be available nationwide if still in production. Everything else in tile world is boring beige fake stone look, way off the charts drama-wise, or white subway tiles. It's a tiny shower room with toilet and I love that sort of soft menswear look.

14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Got it for you (and pls donate the swu to the SMD4 raffle). Answer from Brandi@SPG:

We developed the guestroom shower tile as a custom design with Daltile, however, it is very similar to their running line product called “Fabrique”.
    It can be found on the website below, and locate a local distributor. They can even “pin it” to their Pinterest boards!
    http://products.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=228

perryplatypus and iolaire like this.
  15. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yay, Tommy! And a SWU coming up for SMD4. I saw "Fabrique" yesterday at a showroom and had it in mind as a backup. Daltile is near here, and Emser Tile also carries a very similar thing called "Strands" and San Diego Marble and Tile had same thing but no-name and slightly cheaper. Think it might even be better than Aloft tile because it doesn't tie me to the cream/green color palate. Best of all it's in stock or any Monday delivery for the knock-off.

Thank you very much for you help. It's great to know for certain my second choice is really my first and only choice.

perryplatypus and tommy777 like this.
  16. hotelsallover

hotelsallover Silver Member

Status Points:
    It takes. All types here on mp.

tommy777 and SC Flier like this.
  17. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not so sure that's the one. I think that it looks more similar to Porcelanosa's Talis series.
    http://www.porcelanosa-usa.com/home/products/tile/wall.aspx/d=11531/title=Talis_Beige_

And I do know that they are using at least one other color of 8" x 13" Talis tile in another Aloft.

I'm surprised that I didn't first see a question asking about the floor tiles in the elevators.

If you'd like, I can direct you to plans for building your own WXYZ Bar. :)

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you already installed your own WXYZ bar? It could require a lot of construction to get those high shelves for the alcohol.

SC Flier likes this.
  19. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I have not. But if I did, I'd use a different set of bar stools.

Just because I have a complete set of plans for an entire Aloft hotel does not mean that I have any interest in utilizing them.

lili likes this.
  20. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dropped by a high end tile and bath showroom and the lovely designer showed me Fabrique and Porcelanosa's Yakarta side-by-side. I'm going with the Yakarta 8x13 and something called Metallica 12x24 (black/gray with bits of shiny, gritty and metally for the floor. Soft-industrial but she assures me it goes with the Yakarta and the stuff I originally wanted does not. Turns out of be rather inexpensive as these things go. She also suggested some great solutions to design issues I've been trying to solve since we built the house years ago. Didn't know about top-track sliding wall doors which are no relation to Home Depot type pocket doors. Rather like the mirrored one in the Aloft bathroom that I didn't think about until just now.

The point was she recognized the Aloft tile, said it was not custom for SPG as she had done several bathrooms with it and that the people Daltile was getting it from discontinued it.

I kind of like the little lights in the W bar top, but am going to pass.

SC Flier likes this.
  21. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps that explains why the plans for an Aloft due to open in 2013 do not call for such a tile.

lili likes this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When's the shower room housewarning party going to be?

23. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'll have a DO - invite the tile setter and his helper to do a demoliation demo, take a tour of International Bath and Tile, stop by The Sliding Door Company, then hop on our single-class US Airways charter Saab 340 to New York for a behind the scenes tour of The Rockwell Group studios and do a quick turnaround to California where jug wine will be on offer in the 4x9 foot shower room (includes older Kohler toilet). Whoops, sorry. After assigning10 seats to the press and 20 to people I dislike and want to torture, the four remaining seats have sold out before the event was even posted.

canucklehead and SC Flier like this.
  24. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will the jug wine be dispensed from the showerhead or from the toilet?

WIll you be posting the list of attendees so that we can all guess which category they fit in?

25. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me guess.

SC Flier likes this.