Aloft IAD North [angry]

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by violist, Feb 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    [What happened, as relayed to the hotel by e-mail]
    you bastards just woke me up
    with a wakeup call I didn't order.
    Totally screwed up my night.
    A hotel is not supposed to do this.

I am very angry.

[Message sent to the SPG chat, which I will relay the answer
    to as appropriate]

It's 5 am - your system gave me a wakeup call I didn't ask for.
    I called the front desk, which said it would take care of it. They
    didn't. The wakeup call repeated. I am furious. Just want you
    to know that they totally spoiled a good stay. I want the charge
    taken off my credit card. How can I have this done?

This is what happened:
    Sam B. has entered the session.
    Sam B. has exited the session.
    You are the only user left in the session.

GoodBoy likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    An errant wake-up call rated cursing, personal attacks and a demand for a full refund?

Your expectations are out of line. You deserve at best an apology, and MAYBE an offer of free breakfast for the disturbance, IF that.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're kidding, right?

ChelseaTheFirst likes this.
  4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a 5 am wakeup call, and I was expecting to sleep until at least 9.
    I complained, the front desk said it would take care of it, and the wakeup
    call repeated (as promised in the automated message). If the charge
    goes through, I'll dispute it.

5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether he was kidding ( or perhaps you were the one kidding, but by the tone of your post i missed it ) or not I agree with him entirely.
    This demand by people for every litlle minor inconvenience and yes your incident was exactly that.... has gone way to far.:rolleyes:

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Politely, that's absurd. Is it inconvenient? Yes. Worth not paying for a room? Absolutely not.

Roll over, go back to sleep, talk to the GM in the morning (politely) and see what, if anything they offer. It'll likely be additional points, or complimentary breakfast, or something similar.

viguera, GoodBoy, webdes03 and 3 others like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had a Hampton Inn waive the room charges one night because they didn't have "to go" breakfast bags available. But it was the third consecutive morning of the same stay and each of the prior two the front desk manager assured me that it would be resolved the following morning. Plus, they have a published 100% satisfaction guarantee.

In this case I'd be annoyed but I certainly wouldn't demand the room for free. The constant and excessive demands for compensation by many members of this community have made it into an ugly group, one which I feel less and less comfortable associating with.

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think there should be some perk associated with the inconvenience, however a free room is a bit much. I've had false alarms go off several times when staying in a hotel and while they are extremely annoying, I don't expect compensation for the slight disturbance. The call was obviously an employee error in programming, but other than your sleep being disturbed you have not suffered any permanent damage.

9. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't the first call that was so bad, it was the second call that
    was the killer, after the promise to have it fixed. (Actually, it was
    the third one - the real first call I was too groggy to pick up.)

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that's likely a "feature" of their system. Definitely indicates a training issue... and certainly annoying... but not to the level of "comp my room." Worst case you could have unplugged the phone. Not that you should have to, but it was an option.

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do people think less of you at hotels because others who visit the same Internet sites misbehave? While I indeed roll my eyes at many out-of-scale compensation asks, isn't your reaction also a bit out-of-scale? Such posts may be frustrating, but are they to the point where you would decline to associate with websites like this?

People have been demanding excessive compensation in connection with travel mishaps since long before Al Gore invented the Internet.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I hope that when I show up without being affiliated with the group I'm not seen in the shadow of the group's past behavior. At the same time, however, scenes like the one at the Sheraton at FTU in December are, IMO, egregious and ugly. And as someone who is quite publicly involved with or associated with events like that I do believe that my reputation is affected by the behavior. Not a lot and not all the time in all circumstances, but I do believe there is an add-on effect there.

The advent of FlyerTalk and proliferation from there of other sites (including this one) have created an environment where it is trivially easy to compare what complaints were lodged and what the compensation was. Many have made a game out of it, trying to see just how much they can get for trivial (or, in some cases, self-inflicted) issues. Then the go online to brag about their efforts. Such behavior is, IMO, detrimental to the entire community. It serves to represent the group as petulant whiners more interested in seeing what they can extract from the travel providers than people working together to help each other travel better. I know that the serial compensation folks are just a drop in the bucket, both in the real world and in terms of the content volume on the sites, but they are also a pretty loud part of the group. I happen to find it pretty ugly.

What do you mean by "associate" in this context? I am obviously still an active member here and I post plenty. At the same time, however, I am less inclined to attend events with many other members from these communities because of concerns about how they will behave. Those concerns are based on real life experiences I've had over the years and the posturing which takes place online.

I get that the OP is mad the phone rang. Twice. I just fail to see that as such an egregious event by the hotel management that it deserved a rant online while it was happening and demands for a comp'd room night.

Misplaced Texan, RAPC, AUSsie and 5 others like this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair point there! I wasn't present, but the stories of behavior were worse that the stories of the circumstance.

While we might see it more here, I doubt there is has been a materially disproportionate change in complainers. While neither you nor I have data either way, people have long bantered about airline complaints. The internet adds some worldwide connectivity to the equation, but I suspect for each person it inspired to complain more from reading posts here, it probably made an equal number less likely to complain based on those same posts.

At a minimum...I try to write a handful of letters of praise of staff or handling of situations annually. Usually just two or three situations a year rise to that level...but the ironic part is I've gotten miles credited to my account as a thank you gesture on more than one (but far from all) occasion. :)

Max M, marcwint55 and GoodBoy like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I would (hopefully) have done: unplugged the phone and gone back to bed.

Calling the front desk at 5am and complain would do nothing but ensure that I would be wide awake and not likely be able to go back to bed.

Sending complaints worded like the one in the OP (bastards? Really!?) is inappropriate.

What happened? Is there a trip report I missed?

15. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like the in-room alarm clock or cell phone alarm would have been a good alternative. And then cancel the wake up call for the remaining mornings.

marcwint55 and GoodBoy like this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Short version of the story is that a city water main burst, causing the hotel to lose water for ~8-10 hours during the day on Saturday, in the middle of the FTU event. Lots of people - including many not actually staying at the hotel - went to the front desk demanding points as compensation for the inconvenience.

The hotel staff worked their asses off keeping things operational in the building. They were draining the pool using 5 gallon buckets and using that to refill flush tanks throughout the day. Yeah, it was a bit annoying but hardly the sort of situation where it seemed appropriate to me that everyone in the building deserved points to make up for it. And, to the best of my knowledge, no one was even in a position where there wasn't a functional (enough) lav available to use.

Once people started comparing notes is where it got ugly. I have no idea why some were given 2,000 and others 4,000 to start but when people kept going back to the front desk to fight with the staff there about getting more points is when I lost respect for a number of people. Particularly the ones fighting for the points even though they weren't staying at the hotel.

I'm sure other people have other versions of the story; I can only relate how it appeared from where I was sitting.

IDGflygirl, robmac, viguera and 3 others like this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yikes. My thoughts are with the "survivors" of that tragic event :-/

18. that's questionable;)

flyingdawg likes this.
  19. hear hear:)

:p:D

NYBanker and flyingdawg like this.
  20. was that the one the hotel water supply ceased?

ChelseaTheFirst and NYBanker like this.
  21. that is ugly:eek:

PointHoarder, marcwint55 and NYBanker like this.
  22. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about you guys, but the main reason I get a hotel
    room is to get a night's sleep. I didn't get a night's sleep. I
    believe I am owed (not should be compensated for) the price
    I paid for what I didn't get. I will settle (I believe this is what
    will happen) for half off, even though when you buy a ticket
    to Singapore, you don't get just half off if they only get you
    to Guam.

To answer some of these issues:
    1. I did not ask for a wake-up call at all. I tend to set
    my own alarms, thank you, and do not expect to be
    awakened by the horrid jangling of the Aloft phone
    at the darkest hours of the day. Naysayers, I hope
    you should get to experience this at least once in
    your sheltered lives.
    2. I didn't call the front desk until after the second call.
    3. There were three offending calls. This thread plus a
    complaint to Starwood happened immediately upon the
    third call. I will retract nothing and will pursue this as far
    as I need to, past the point of rationality if necessary
    (and nobody tell me I've gone that far already, even as a
    joke, because I am still quite riled about this).
    4. The trip report will eventually follow. It will include 5 hotels:
    one lousy stay that turned sort of okay (a Hilton); a good stay
    that turned nasty (this one); a good stay and a terrific stay
    (Hamptons!); and one that the jury's still out on but promises
    well (Hilton Alexandria Mark Center, which often gets a bad rap
    but which I have had good luck with - though the reason I
    booked this Aloft is because I've liked it in the past despite
    its mixed reputation).

23. i'd be pissed too if the phone woke me which is unlikely:)

24. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The instant you called them bastards you crossed well beyond the point of rationality and to the point where a speedy and amicable solution is not possible. In the hotel's position I'd be curious what I would gain by giving in to your demands.

25. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've of mixed minds here. I completely agree that the first 5am call deserves a pass. It sucks, but it's likely not malicious nor an ongoing problem. Getting a call after the "we'll fix it" acknowledgement is where I'd start to get crabby.

marcwint55, flyingdawg and GoodBoy like this.