aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by moa999, Dec 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This hotel opened on December 1, 2011 and is one of a large number of starwood properties in Bangkok.

Hotel website: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3211

Hotel photos: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/property/photos/index.html?propertyID=3211

Hotel is located in Soi 11 off Sukhumvit, opposite Bed Supperclub (a nightclub that the hotel gives you free entry to) and about 150m from Nana BTS Station and a 15min taxi ride to Makassan Railway on the Airport Link.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Room shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pool / Bar shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Review (1 night 23 Dec 2011, SPG Gold)

Came from the Airport taking the Local Line link to Phaya Thai then BTS to Nana (Cost 45+25 baht - some stairs though). Even with rollaboard luggage and a trifold was an easy walk up Soi 11 to the hotel. You can pick it at night by the coloured lights on top (albeit no aloft sign - only at ground level).

Check in was swift and efficient. I was on the 2435baht a/i opening special. Given a room on the 16th floor (even number facing the apartment building closer to sukhumvit). Reports on FT suggest a gradual opening and that they are only up to 18th floor of 32.

Checked out the pool (empty at 7pm), gym looks nice (also empty) and the bar and restaurant (totally dead).

As Gold all I got was a beverage coupon (non alcoholic) which was used for a crazily hot coffee in the morning (Plats get the same plus a 250pt amenity). Also got the coupon for Bed/ Q which was used (the bed one saves an 800bht entry fee, although it comes with 2 drinks which are about 250-300bht a piece).

Couldn't fault the room - looked very nice and good shower although overall a little on the smaller side. Very much separate bathroom which goes against current hotel design trends. Internet appeared to work well and a huge number of multi-region powerpoints.

Didn't test out any of the food offerings and left the hotel in a rush checking out at 7.25am to try and make my CX flight at 8.25am (chances about zero but I tried hard). Took a cab to Makassan station which took about 10min and was standing at the CX counter at 8.10am getting shifted to the 9.25am flight to HKG.

uggboy, sendaiben and Kalboz like this.
  5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review and the photos!

6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent, thank you for reporting and great photos! :)

uggboy and cennas like this.
  7. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, looks good :)

Seems like Bangkok might be a good SPG hotel-hopping destination...

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Randy Petersen, cennas, Toula and 4 others like this.
  9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Kal for posting. I have received good service at this hotel on two recent stays. If you want breakfast- be sure to book it with your room rate (there are rates with and without breakfast on spg.com) as in this way you will save a few Baht (280 pppn to be exact).

10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aloft Bangkok has launched a “One Night in Bangkok” package
    [​IMG]

11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    What does that mean? Daily semi-lunch? Brunch?

uggboy likes this.
  12. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is lunch that is not too heavy. Who knows though :p

uggboy, Kalboz and lwkatya like this.
  13. ShrinkTheGlobe

ShrinkTheGlobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here recently & I liked the shower a lot. Strong water pressure.

I stayed on the 21st floor but I think it goes up to 26 or so. The elevator was able to go to the top floor but those floors were not finished yet.

I also noticed that the room doors don't close all the way automatically. When I was walking back to my room at night, there were some rooms with their doors not completely closed.

uggboy, Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Making sure the door is closed is a great point.

I think they want to make sure to avoid the "slamming doors in the hall" syndrome which can be quite annoying at many properties.

When I was last at the hotel in December the rooms only went up to floor 19- so it looks like they are making progress if you are on 21.

You are right about the water pressure- excellent for pressure and temperature!

How was the internet speed? I found it extremely fast however the hotel was not very busy yet.

15. ShrinkTheGlobe

ShrinkTheGlobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had no problems with the in-room wifi. I also noticed a network cable on the work desk so you can have wired internet if you like.

I stayed there a couple days after New Years and it was not busy at all.

I heard from a friend that the hotel has a tuk tuk but I did not see it when I was there. My friend told me the tuk tuk drove him all the way to Terminal 21.

uggboy, Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the updates.
    I saw the tuk tuk however didn't ask to take it anywhere- I have heard they will also drive guests to the Westin or Four Points if they are not too busy- both of which are close to Terminal 21

17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    HD Video Tour of an Urban Room @ Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11

uggboy likes this.
  18. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just completed a stay here a couple nights ago. It was great! Friendly staff and good air con, clean room, quiet. Good nights sleep and a Chang beer given to me on checkin :)

19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  20. spgExplorer

spgExplorer Active Member

Status Points:
    Here is a link to a trip report from my stay earlier this year.

21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am just completing another 3 night stay here now. The hotel has worked through their teething problems and is now quite well functioning. I think Starwood could use their much vaunted 6 sigma program and eliminate about 30 non-value add steps on checkin- in fact there was enough time I started to map the process myself- however other than that the staff are all very friendly and the hotel is great.

I had a smoothie at Splash tonight after work by the pool- they only had one staff member on duty who was literally run off his feet- it was a good smoothie though and always nice to get a quick swim after work in.

Laundry service is very fairly priced- Internet is at some of the fastest speeds I have received in a Bangkok hotel- and housekeeping does a good job. This is certainly not the Four Seasons nor the SGS- however given the rates are almost always under 2500 THB this could be the best value hotel in Bangkok at the moment. Location is also excellent- the restaurant just up the street (towards Sukhumvit) on the right with the picture of the train on its sign- has great live jazz music and good food (I have eaten here quite a few times and it is consistent and very well priced by the way).

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with Travelsig here ... I checked out by just calling the hotel to do so as we were staying at the JW Marriott. This was a one-night stay to get 25% off redemption in a Welcome Back offer that was extended to me. This was also my first stay at this property and my rate was THB 2,100++ per night. I was upgraded to the THB 2,400++ room, and, BTW, I am a Gold but I requested an upgrade at check-in just to see what will happen! Relatively low-floor very nice room (#1502) with amazing views, but of a small size perfect for a single person or a couple. Families should book a suite here :)
    [​IMG]
    Also, I took their tuk-tuk back to Sukhumvit proper.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shower & no tub: strange (water) spots on the bathroom floor​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice amenities: two bath robes - the second one was in the closet​

uggboy, sendaiben, HLC and 2 others like this.
  23. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As posted by Deals We Like: Purchase Starwood Points at a 20% Discount
    [​IMG]

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have seen some 1999 and 2199 THB rates floating around which are somewhere around 80 USD all in if I am using a somewhat correct exchange rate?

25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aloft Sukhumvit 11 Bangkok is going for less than THB 2500 including breakfast for two & late checkout:

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.