Almost to Gold status in United Mileage Plus

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ntidwell, Dec 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ntidwell

ntidwell Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

This past year I have flown quite a few miles on Star Alliance partners and I am within 4,900 miles of getting to Gold status in United's Mileage Plus.

Do you have any tips for how I can do that? I considered purchasing the necessary miles, but the website says that purchased miles do not qualify for elite premier status.

I am stationed overseas where the mail will not get here in time for me to subscribe to a CC and receive it and make a purchase before December 31, when I understand the qualifying period ends, and I have to start out at zero on January 1 to reach elite qualifying status next year.

Thanks in advance for your kind advice.

Regards,

Nathan

2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that the credit cards (typically) only offer redeemable miles (what we tend to call RDMs), not premier or elite qualifying miles (PQMs or EQMs). You need to pay attention to the difference.

First, log onto ua.com and make sure you're really that close. Then... consider buying a ticket you never plan to use. At the end of the process United will offer extra redeemable miles (mileage accelerator) and extra PQMs (Premier Accelerator). You have to buy the former to buy the latter. If United offers roughly the right amount, buy them. Then refund the ticket (you bought a refundable ticket, didn't you?). If it's the wrong amount, try again. In the past, they used to offer approximately the same number of miles as the ticket would normally earn, so a transcon turn would be a good option for you to look at. These days, I'm not sure how they decide how many PQMs to offer, so you may be playing a guessing game.

The question then becomes "is it worth it". I recall prices of about $.13 per PQM, which would mean $650+ for Gold. That seems a little steep.

iolaire and dstober like this.
  3. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations on earning Premier Silver. For International Economy Premier Gold gets you most of the perks available so it can be worth some effort on your part. Obviously a 4900 mile trip this late in the year may not be easily done. The program laid out by traveltoomuch above is probably your best bet. However, United also has in previous years offered a second chance to step up a level in January in an offer that is usually competitive with the Premier Accelerator offering he mentions. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that United will make this offer in 2014 (although it would be a surprise if they did not).

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have time to take a quick trip? There are some Star Alliance partner trips you could make, depending on where you're stationed.

5. dxiao

dxiao Active Member

Status Points:
    I am working on Platinium with the shortage of 5000+ miles, and I am not sure whether I can fly again, I will be losing 1K status for next year for sure, but intent is to at least keep Platinium, so I may pick up the buying accelerator awards, I've called that 5000+ probably almost $1000+, do your gurus think that worth?

6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I valued the 2 RPUs as worth over $1000 for me and the extra bonus miles are useful as well. I misunderstood your question originally when I responded with the following:
    The the extra bonus miles along with GPUs and the RPUs you get for 1K are easily worth more than $1000 if you use them.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    dstober likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

That's a very generous valuation IMO.

8MiHi, boondr and traveltoomuch like this.
  8. Santa

Santa Platinum Member [Jolly]

Status Points:
    Nathan, welcome to Milepoint. Here on Milepoint we pride ourselves with helping others and paying it forward.
    In our variation of Secret Santa, we've arranged with United MileagePlus for you to receive a full Premier Gold elite status for the coming year. SO, no worries about credit cards, mileage runs and lost sleep knowing you were close but no elite cigar.

Here's to your very best holidays and all of us here at Milepoint welcome you as a member.

HERE is the list of benefits that you will be entitled to as a member of Premier Gold.

I will contact you via a private Conversation to get your United MileagePlus number to get this elite upgrade in place for you.

TUMD, jetsetr, WilliamQ and 13 others like this.
  9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    EWR-HNL for me and my wife.

Newscience and dstober like this.
  10. wannaflyaway

wannaflyaway Member

Status Points:
    Wow! You're fantastic. . . Santa! ;)

11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will admit, upon further reflection, that our location and our habit of an annual trip to Hawaii affects my valuation. Without the HNL-EWR flights, $1000 for the RPUs is substantially higher than all but a handful of other options. That being said, the value I would place on my Platinum experience in 2013 vs my Gold experience in 2012 would be substantially over $1000 as I saw a big increase in my CPUs (even on TCTLs) to go along with the other benefits.

12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hey, at least someone is seeing an increase in their CPU percentage. :)

Certainly, RPU/GPU/SWU value is extremely subjective and I was in agreement with Seth on his original comment. Assuming 100% success rate on clearing the RPUs for HNL-EWR, I could see assigning a value that high to them. It's high, IMO. Would you take the trip if the RPUs didn't clear? Would you consider buying up?

Wandering Aramean and 8MiHi like this.
  13. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shame you only joined MP this month Santa, think of all the miles you would have earned flying around over the last millennium or so.

Newscience and BWIflyer like this.
  14. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, we would take the trip, regardless. It is also fair to ask how much are RPUs worth when all it does is change your place on the plane. If we intended to buy-up or if we had something important to do upon arrival, they would be easily worth more than $1000, otherwise not. There was a thread here a year or two ago debating the value of achieving a status level such as 1K or Platinum and I noted at the time that there appeared to be a disconnect to some posters between the dollar cost of the perks acquired and the actual value to the flyer when used. I may have fallen prey to that disconnect in my judgement here.

Newscience and Wandering Aramean like this.
  15. gmarchetti

gmarchetti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same here... almost gold but for a last-minute cancellation that now leaves me about 8000 miles short (I was planning a trip to Asia from Seattle). No way I can make that up now with a mileage run (it would be too expensive), so I decided to go with United Club credit card from Chase and pay for economy comfort on domestic trips. It is as close as I can get to the gold experience.

8MiHi likes this.
  16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No question it can be easy to get caught up in chasing status and assign unreasonable values to the benefits. I find that with my travel patterns over the past year that the value changes frequently. I certainly place a higher value on upgrades with the crowds in coach but I also find myself unable to use most of my upgrade certs from UA.

Newscience and 8MiHi like this.
  17. RSonny

RSonny New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, Santa, for helping someone in need. I may need some help too in 2014. I hope you'll keep me on your lists. Fly safe and Happy New Year!!!!

18. RSonny

RSonny New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for serving in the best Armed Forces in the world, Nathan. Welcome to Milepoint, a place where you can get some valuable tips and also virtually meet Santa.

R Sonny sends (USAF, Ret)

IDGflygirl and Newscience like this.
  19. butatuli

butatuli New Member

Status Points:
    u really?

20. KRLFLyer

KRLFLyer New Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I'm in a similar boat to Nathan and am 4k miles short for Gold status for 2014. I was looking at buying a ticket with the accelerator and then getting a refund, but I've also heard that sometimes United will offer a promotion to purchase PQMs at the end of the month or early January and they would go towards 2013. Is anyone aware of a current promotion?

21. ntidwell

ntidwell Active Member

Status Points:
    I guess Santa couldn't help after all--never heard back--not sure what happened.... back to square one...

22. KRLFLyer

KRLFLyer New Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that's a bummer. I was wondering if it was too good to be true. Sorry!

23. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was about 2700 miles short of Gold this past year. I just received an email to purchase the remaining miles for Gold. Not sure the added benefits are worth the $649 price for 3000 PQM considering I don't fly that much. Most of my miles were from just a few trips to Japan for work.

24. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    What do you expect your 2014 travel to look like? It's certainly situation-specific whether $649 is worth it.

25. kevberhow

kevberhow Silver Member

Status Points:
    It all depends. So far this year I don't have any travel scheduled except a trip to Hawaii tomorrow, not on United. I don't forsee more than two or three trips on United, but they are usually to Japan. So another 25% in bonus miles, early access to economy plus(which I've been lucky enough to get at check in most times with Silver so far) and lounge access when travelling internationally. Having priority pass through AMEX PLAT makes the lounge access not a big draw for me. I also don't have much control over what airline I fly for work, since the travel is for the military and they use contract fares which vary by destination.