Alliance codeshares and mileage accrual

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Saracen, Jun 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've always run away from codeshares because of uncertainty over fare code mapping and hence mileage accrual. I'm curious how others deal with this.

I'm aware that in most cases alliance-coded non-alliance-operated flights don't earn miles.

I also guess that alliance-coded alliance-operated flights in business and first will earn miles at the operating airline's business/first rate in your program; correct? Perhaps this is why there's not so much discussion on this; loads of you fly C and F :p.

Which brings us on to the myriad of combinations for Y flyers. Now, that standard rule applies: you earn as per the operating airline's earnings in your program. The trouble is, the fare code on the codeshare ticket could map to any fare code as far as the operating airline is concerned, and I've never discovered a way of checking this up front, save to find someone who booked the exact same codeshare and fare: hard.

Any advice?

2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Code shares can be a huge pain. Many times I found my miles not posting nearly as quickly when codeshares are involved. And most of the time I have to go claiming the miles with BP's, forms, etc. a PIA!!

Correct, you're native ff program will determine miles credited regardless of class flown. Though different FF plans offer different mile ratios. For example BMI does not credit all Z, C, F etc fares at the same multiplier for all Z C F fares within *A. Using Z as an example, BMI will credit 1.5x miles for flights on US and CO, but will credit 2x for UA, LH,etc. Its an important consideration when determining which FF program to join.

Do you have a specific concern with fare class mapping? Usually a FF website will have a chart that will tell you what miles they credit based on fellow alliance flights. Let me know if you have a specific one you're looking into and I'll try to help.

3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    The trouble is that I might book a codeshare flight with a certain fare code. I have no way of determining in advance what the actual operator fare code for that ticket will be, since it's not a direct mapping, and hence, I can't know what I will be credited. I guess for business and first, it's less of an issue, since usually all business fares on the same carrier credit at the same rate. But for Y fares, it's a shambles. You might book a normally crediting fare with the codeshare airline, but find that it actually maps to discount economy with the operating carrier, and hence get no miles!

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I see what you're getting at. You would need to have all the code share/ fare mapping info prior to even booking a trip. That sounds like a worthwhile project to undertake. I have a bunch of info on this stuff, I'll sift through it and see if I can't put it on the MP WIKI. Not sure if its feasible, but I'm sure I can try to figure it out.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saracen likes this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Got a reply from a contact at *A, she'll try to see if there is something that will help in terms of fare mapping.

Saracen likes this.
  7. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Something official would be great. Trouble is, even with reports from travellers, things could change over time!

8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might be incomplete but it was exactly what I needed for 3 of 4 questions. Thanks.

Wandering Aramean likes this.