All seats assigned - except the preferred/exit/business seats

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MyTravels, Jun 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked at the seatmap for an upcoming flight & only 3.2% of seats assigned in coach are preferred/exit seats. Since all non-preferred/exit seats are assigned there are probably even more non-status customers without seat assignments (which would make the % even lower).

I don't recall seeing such a disparity before, is this an unusual mix of status vs non-status on mainline aircraft?

B757
    119 standard seats, 0 vacant, 119 assigned
    47 preferred/exit seats, 43 vacant, 4 assigned
    22 Business class seats, 18 vacant, 4 assigned
    (If i counted correctly)
    Note: If you include the 4 business class seat assignments then only 6.3% of assigned seats belong to preferred/exit/business.

2. msg

msg Active Member

Status Points:
    I once had to go to a meeting in Orlando in March (around spring break). When I was selecting seats on the first hop home through DFW, there were only 12 seats left on the plane. The two exit rows were completely unoccupied.

My EXP upgrade came through at exactly 100 hours.

3. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got a disturbing news from a very reliable source inside AA. They are about to charge for the preferred seats. That's right, if you want to seat upfront you're going to pay for it. I don't know when this change is going to be in effect, but from what I heard it seems before the end of August! I don't know either how the airline will do with elite members, it's uncertain at this time!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that most legacy US airlines already charge non-status travelers for preferred seats (NWA may have started it).

FL charges for any seat assignment prior to checkin.

5. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, but don't those seats have more leg room? If American is about to charge, I'm hoping for more leg room.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    It appears that I might have been wrong in assuming that many FFs were aware of the inaccuracy of seat maps, then again perhaps the local glee club on tour was booked on the above flight:)

That said perhaps we could manage to keep unsubstantiated rumors to FT ... thats what they are best at over there besides for the life of me I cant see how that would be related to the OPs observations.

gemac and Skye1 like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The NW preferred seats didn't necessarily have more legroom. Similarly, DL's seats that are reserved for elites aren't middles but don't necessarily have more legroom, although they now have y+, called Economy Comfort, on international longhaul.

To me, the most shocking example of charging for seats is the BA policy that nonelites pay to get seats in advance in business class.

LAXtraveler likes this.
  8. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you. I do not understand how people paying for a business seat on BA are not enraged when they find out they have to pay even more money to reserve a seat - and even more, if they want an UD seat, they pay EVEN MORE!

9. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA already has seats near the front that non-status pax can pay to reserve.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/yourChoice_expressSeats.jsp

10. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're right, charging for preferred seats really has nothing to do with the mix of status vs non-status on mainline aircraft.

11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad quote on that last attempt . . .

Huh. Never knew that. They limit it to 24 hours before flight, so is it the leftovers from the elite-status batch?

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm with you on this "charging for premium seats" bit. How is what has been "leaked" any different that what AA is already doing, i.e. a non-issue?

Also newbluesea as a good point. Seat maps are misleading and I wouldn't base much of anything on what they say. As an observation, I've seen many elite seats fully open while the rest of the seat map was packed before, mostly on leisure routes. HNL/KOA to be exact. Still, seat maps lie. :)

13. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is being taken out of context. Seatmaps aren't accurate for tickets sold, but how are they not accurate for occupied/unoccupied? (Pending no extenuating circumstances, change of equipment, etc)

Agreed that I'd expect lower status % on leisure routes & with July 4th holiday coming up, but even with all of that isn't going to HNL/KOA (or much of anywhere) with only 3% non-status pretty low?

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's been my experience that seat maps that show taken seats aren't always reflective of actual taken seats either. YMMV, but that's what I've seen.

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree.

I am not sure if this remains the case, but a year or two back there were no optional seat changes once you printed your BP on BA. Even in paid F. I can see doing this in Y...but j and f?

DestinationDavid likes this.
  16. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    If a seat map shows a seat is vacant, then it is vacant. (As with everything else, I'm sure there are some very rare exceptions).

But if the seat map shows a seat is occupied, it may or may not be. It could be occupied, or unavailable due to insufficient status, or blocked for day-of-departure airport control, or reserved as a crew rest seat, etc...

MyTravels likes this.
  17. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't really like this, but thank you for bringing it to our attention. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more and more changes like this.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Since it was a topic of discussion here.....

JonNYC posted on his TB site that he believes changes are coming to the currently offered "buy a seat" program on AA. See LINK.

Perhaps related to Eloy Fonseca Neto's post.....