All Lat flight passes now with 48 hr comp upgrade?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by southender, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forgive if old news but as I was checking flight pass vs single flight pricing for fiscal next, noticed that Lat flight passes including LHR are now 48 hr comp upgrades. As I am hoarding eUp's for TPAC, this will factor in my TATL travel planning.
    UPDATE:
    T and C now changed- eUp's only- AC has apparently 'enhanced' the comp up's right out of existence.

getaround and flying-gal like this.
  2. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads-up on this. This is new for LHR.
    I went into my flight pass to read it for myself.

• Complimentary Flight Pass upgrades cannot be processed if there is a flight segment in the booking which has been upgraded either with eUpgrade Credits or a Star Alliance Upgrade Award. The upgraded flight segment must be cancelled and rebooked in the original Economy booking class in order to process a complimentary Flight Pass upgrade. If the original flight is no longer available, an alternative flight must be selected.

3. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must say that's pretty cool! Thumbs up!

4. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure helps with the e-upgrade points stretching further.
    Definitely, a nice plus for my travel pattern.

5. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could even entice me back to buying LHR Pass's.

6. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    If only there were Lat. passes for the rest of Europe... :(

7. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ive said many times that those pass's should have a Lat option. I would certainly buy them if price correctly. I personally don't do business in LHR I use the pass really as the connection point for myself to Europe. Since I haven't bought the LHR in the last 6 months I now connect via FRA usually though I have missed most of my connection to Canada so I am now going back via London.

Some say we wont see a LAT pass for the Europe pass's because of restrictions with LH code shares are something like that.

One issue for me and its is a big one is that I can not buy a connecting ticket; so with this I need to purchase a separate ticket and many times have I had to repurchase its a PITA. I said that on FT one time and had my ASS eatin out by folks saying its a LHR pass nothing more your meant to go to London blar blar.

8. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is the downside of using LHR as the gateway; but for the price differentials I am seeing, I am happy to take my chances with a LCC or the Eurostar.

9. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like you, I would like to have been able to add a connecting flight.
    I usually go BMI from LHR -- GLA.
    (Bmi is no longer flying LHR to GLA after the end of March.)

Having to purchase seperate tickets has other issues as well, like checking baggage through to final destination.

Haven't decided yet what I am going to do for the LHR -- GLA segment.
    I actually would prefer to go into Preswick and that would mean Ryan Air :(

10. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the new London pass went up considerably in a year.
    In 2009, I paid $6,248.00
    In 2010, It went up to ... $ 7,986 ( an increase of $1,738)

11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah how I wish I could one again use flight passes for business. Was able to for a year or so a while ago (had special approval) and it was great!

cockpitvisit likes this.
  12. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    $6248.00? They used to be $5200 odd hundered. Overnight they went up 33%.

I bought 2/3 per year. I stop instantly after the increase. I understand price increase's though 33% was BS so I went elsewhere. FYI Amex has the offer buy highest economy with free upgrade on Swiss. It works out $200 more though you don't need to purchase 3 RT up front.

13. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok West coast prices. East coast was a 33% increase.

14. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, yes that was a west coast London Pass.
    Still it was quite a shock to increase that much in one year.

When I first bought a LP I paid around $5200 I think.

15. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems AC changed it minds with this one -

The T&C's have changed.

it no longer states "Complimentary online upgrades are based on Executive Class availability".

It did two days ago when I went to check.

Seems complimentary online upgrades will not be available for the LHR pass.

16. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    2 days ago it did say what I wrote above in post #2 ... what a shame [​IMG]

17. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can they change the T&C just like that? What if people bought the pass 2 days ago based on the complimentary upgrade?

18. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't believe I was actually contemplating buying LHR pass's again :)

19. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it was in the T&C when you bought AC is going to have to eat the loss, but you'd have to fight for it because their system likely isn't setup to offer the free upgrades. So you need to fight for the first one, and to have a note put on the pass that you get free upgrades because of a marketing error.

The fight would be similar to the ones people have had on some B fares to Europe. The T&C on the some of the booking pages said refundable, but on other pages it said non-refundable. The correct T&C was the non-refundable one, but AC IT was displaying the wrong one and nobody noticed because most Latitude fares are refundable. People had to fight with AC, but in the end they refunded the tickets because it was their error.

20. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    It also shows the following on the flight passes... :rolleyes:

These terms and conditions may change at any time without notice and other conditions may apply.

So, guess we haven't a leg to stand on if they remove the earlier 48 hour upgrade.

21. getaround
    Original Member

getaround Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a sun pass prorated return a few years ago as I purchased to travel to and from Aruba only; some locations were marked with a * which stated seasonal although Aruba wasn't which it ended up becoming so. I canceled the sun pass and was cc returned the differences.

flying-gal likes this.
  22. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps. AC should think of putting the 48 hour perk back then... if it is going to entice more people to buy their passes[​IMG]

23. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those that have purchased flight passes, I had a question. I was looking at the Sampler Pass (transcontinental), as described in the another thread. As a Lat pass it allows complimentary upgrades within a 48 hour window.

Out of curiousity, for holders of Lat passes, do you use your eCredits to upgrade prior to the complimentary window to ensure an upgrade or do you chance it in the 48 hours prior? I realize that in high volume corridors such as Rapidair you are more likely to be able to wait.

24. YVR-Flyer
    Original Member

YVR-Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    As most or all of the latitude passes are booked into B - I believe the number of eCredits is minimal - personally I would use them .and. if possible at the 48H attempt to switch to the complimentary upgrade.

25. igloocoder
    Original Member

igloocoder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I typically do not do this. While my flight dates are pre-set, my flight times are fairly flexible. I usually keep an eye on B availability through the week and if it's starting to look tight for my preferred flight I'll book it and try the upgrade at 48hrs. If there's no J space (which is all you need for the complimentary upgrade) at that time, I'll just cancel the flight and rebook on something that has it. If space in B is fairly good I'll usually wait until 48hrs out to make my booking and take my chances. It usually saves me an extra couple of phone calls to AC which is nice.

So far I've managed to run through something like 7 or 8 flight passes in the last 11 months and only 2-3 times have I needed to book and upgrade with a cert in advance (Xmas, Thanksgiving and one other big holiday). I've probably missed my preferred flight about 5-10 times in that same time frame and I've only had B=0 on my preferred flight at 48hrs 1 time (space opened up at 24hrs so I booked it then and all was good in the world again).