All IFE free on Delta

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jun 3, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United hasn't charged for IFE for years

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  5. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA does not own the DirectTV offering. It was installed by DirectTV and fees go to them. Thus, UA has no control over the billing for this service.
    You may notice that none of the new 737s or any Airbus coming on line are equipped with DirectTV. I suspect that technology is very early 2000s and has already been supplanted by streaming technology.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I happen to have heard that before, on FT. But as customer I buy a ticket on United, and I don't really care how they (out-)source their services. From my perspective, united's inflight entertainment costs me money when I travel in coach on many of their aircraft. (*)

Delta isn't producing their own movies and TV shows. They pay someone for the content and now choose to bundle that cost into the ticket price for everyone

United uses a different approach, but there is probably no reason why they couldn't make it look the same from a customer perspective (i.e., they pay Directv and bundle the cost into the ticket price, as they presumably do today for First class customers.... ).

(*) personally, what I want on those planes is not free content, but an easy "off" button. No one but me seems to know how to turn those darn screens off when not actually watching anything.

7. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a competitive move against UA because of the need to pay for DirecTV.

9. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I 100% agree with this! It is beyond annoying.

10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I few one one flight in Dec with the free offering (maybe it was a shuttle flight and thus free? it was DCA-ATL) and it seemed ok for occasional flyers. I as a recall there were maybe 10 recent movies. Enough for a one off flight but more repetitive flights would burn through the movies fast.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA could offer the live TV for free to its passengers; there is a fixed rate negotiated in the contract for such. It chooses not to.

Gogo likely comes out as the big winner with this deal, getting paid for delivering a lot more content to passengers than it would have otherwise.

12. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was always under the impression that the content was stored locally on the plane itself. Is there really enough bandwidth for pax to stream content from a land-based server? That seems crazy to me.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The streaming content is stored on-board rather than pulled over the Internet, but it is a Gogo system on the DL planes. Gogo Vision is the name it is marketed under and there are licensing fees paid for consumption. We (obviously) do not know the terms of the contract but I'm willing to bet that it is in Gogo's favor to have passengers with unfettered access.

bobsgt likes this.