All I Can Do Is Shake My Head...

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by UA191, Dec 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just called US to redeem miles for a client heading to Islamabad, Pakistan (huge Pakistani population here). The agent answered & asked where I wanted to go. I said ' Islamabad, Pakistan' she said 'Oh my god...' in a deep southern accent & started laughing hysterically, then hung up...

Can US do us all a favor & hire agents that know difference between London, Canada & London, UK?!

Remky, jmrich1432, rharrigill and 2 others like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe bringing back agents to the mainland was a bad idea? :rolleyes:

UA191 likes this.
  3. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Way to make the south look even better US Airways agent.

Did you eventually get the ticket booked?

UA191 likes this.
  4. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. I called back & got an amazing agent that actually majored in Geography! I guess they can't all be bad... :)

jmrich1432 likes this.
  5. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wait. I don't understand. She didn't confuse Islamabad, Pakistan with another Islamabad, did she? Kind of renders the last line moot.

desert_gecko likes this.
  6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No! This type of geographic confusion can be very useful when booking award tickets! US will let some routings slide that NEVER should be allowed because of this...

7. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a aware of any other Islamabads. No - she did not confuse any cities, she just flipped out when I said 'Pakistan'!

8. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    She probably wasn't aware we have flights to "evil" nations. If you'd have said Kabul, she might have passed out.

9. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    One other possibility I just thought of is that, in her ignorance, the agent had never heard of Islamabad before and just heard phonetically "Islam A Bad Pakistan" thereby prompting her to laugh histerically. :rolleyes:
    At any rate, a black eye for US...

10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    what about giving airport codes after the city name? I always have agents (either in person or on the phone) confuse Reno and Rio - and found saying the code helps them locate it.

This isn't an US only issue, I've seen tons of airline agents struggle with this. However, US only flies to North America, Mexico, Caribbean, Europe, Rio, and Israel (which sometimes is in Europe). Nothing to Africa, Australia, and Asia ex Israel, so their agents really aren't used to booking travel in markets that they don't serve.

Even within the United States, some agents struggle with New York - Kennedy and finally get it when you say JFK.