ALL AMERICAN BURGERS

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by euromannn, May 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/best-burgers-home-213200008.html

How to Make the Best Burgers at Home

[​IMG]
    A burger might seem quite simple to prepare, but not all burger recipes are created equal. Whether it's for a pan-seared burger made on a stovetop, or a classic backyard burger served at a weekend barbecue, the perfect burger recipe starts with the right ingredients, equipment, and cooking techniques.
    HAMBURGER KEYS TO SUCCESS
    Three common mistakes to avoid in the quest for the perfect burger.
    1. DON'T UNDERSEASON. Just dusting salt on the exterior of shaped patties doesn't cut it. Put the ground beef in a bowl. Lightly break up the meat with your hands and sprinkle evenly with salt. Use 1 teaspoon of table salt for 1½ pounds of ground beef, the amount you will need for four burgers.
    2. DON'T OVERWORK. Ground beef is not Play-Doh. The more you handle it, the denser and more rubbery it will become when cooked. After you've seasoned the meat, divide it into individual portions and, with lightly cupped hands, shape into patties. As soon as the patties hold together, stop!
    3. DON'T PRESS. Flip the burgers just once-after they've developed deep brown grill marks-and don't be tempted to press on them. Pressing down on the burgers as they cook squeezes out the flavorful juices, which end up in your grill (causing flare-ups) instead of in your burgers.
    BURGER BULGE
    Making a shallow indentation in the center of the patty is the first step toward a great burger.
    The collagen, or connective tissue, in ground meat shrinks when heated. This causes the bottom and sides of the meat to tighten like a belt, which forces the surface of the burger to expand. To prevent a bubble burger, press a 1/4-inch divot, or indentation, in the center of each patty. The collagen will still tighten, but the indented meat won't bulge.
    [​IMG]Flat Patties
    If you start with a flat burger patty...
    [​IMG]Bulging Burgers
    ...you'll end up with a bulging burger like this one.
    [​IMG]Divoted Patties
    Pressing a small divot into the center of each patty...
    Flat Burgers
    ...keeps the burgers from bulging. The result? Perfect burgers.
    KEEPING BURGERS FROM STICKING TO THE GRILL
    [​IMG]Scrape Clean
    Heat your grill up before cleaning it with a sturdy grill brush. Any residual debris will come off hot grates much easier than cool ones.
    Slick Down and Build Up Seasoning
    Grab a wad of paper towels with a pair of long-handled tongs and dip them in a bowl of vegetable oil. When the towels have absorbed the oil, run them over the cleaned grill grate. The oil will burn off at first. Continue to dip the towels into oil and slick down the grate; it will become "nonstick." When the grate turns black and glossy, your grill is good to go.

HAMBURGER TEMPERATURE GUIDE
    Many of us depend on thermometers when we're grilling expensive steaks, but when we grill (cheap) burgers, we think we needn't bother. Wrong. For consistently delicious burgers cooked to just the right degree of doneness, don't guess. Take the temperature in the center of each burger with an instant-read thermometer.
    MEDIUM-RARE BURGER: 125 to 130 degrees, 2 to 3 minutes per side
    MEDIUM BURGER: 135 to 140 degrees, 3 to 4 minutes per side
    MEDIUM-WELL BURGER: 145 to 160 degrees, 4 to 5 minutes per side
    WELL-DONE BURGER: 160 degrees and up, 5 minutes and up per side

Flying Bat, Espan, kw335 and 3 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing, excellent and interesting!:)

Flying Bat and Espan like this.
  3. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. Never knew the thing about divoted burgers.

Flying Bat and uggboy like this.
  4. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on my experience living next to the park, I think this guide is missing the proper ratio of lighter liquid to beef. Is it 1 fl. oz per ounce of beef? Or is it one foot of flames up in the air per burger? Do you pour it before or during cooking? Right on top or just all over the place at random and a little on yourself?

I love burgers and can eat them all day long, but any article about making them has got to have a warning that lighter fluid is not a sauce of any sort.

5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good info! My wife told me about the divot thing but I forget to do it most of the time. She saw that done on one of the food related cable shows...

Flying Bat and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Must been the caveman design taking a bite before it's cooked.

Flying Bat likes this.
  7. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard of conflicting theories in regards to putting a slice of cheese (or crumbles of blue cheese) atop of the patty while grilling it. Thoughts?

Flying Bat likes this.
  8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am of the school that if the burger is truly right off the grill, then the cheese should be added after the cooking. If the burger may sit for a few minutes, then add the cheese right before removing the burger. That way the heat will melt the cheese, but not overmelt the cheese.

In other words, you want a burger with Cheese rather than a cheese flavored burger. Blue cheese should always be added when any other condiments are added. (i.e. lettuce, tomato, Vidalia Onion, cracked pepper, etc)

9. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think we hae stolen a march on you Yanks
    Or maybe I could be plain crackers.

I know it sounds mad to be using crackers as an ingredient but I have to tell you, this works.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    © David Loftus​
    method

There’s nothing better than a home-made burger. Everyone loves them, they’re easy to make and, if made with quality, fresh ingredients (and not overladen with greasy stuff), they certainly don’t have to be unhealthy, especially if served with a salad. Once you’ve mastered this tasty basic recipe, you can make it your own with different herbs, spices and toppings.The sky’s the limit – that’s why cooking is so exciting.

To make your burger

Wrap the crackers in a kitchen towel and smash up until fine, breaking up any big bits with your hands, and put them into a large bowl. Finely chop the parsley, including the stalks. Add the parsley, mustard, and ground beef to the bowl. Crack in the eggand add a good pinch of salt and pepper. With clean hands, scrunch and mix everything up well. Divide into 6 and pat and mold each piece into a roundish shape about 3/4-inch thick. Drizzle the burgers with oil, put on a plate, cover and place in the refrigerator until needed (this helps them to firm up).

To cook your burger

Preheat a large grill pan or frying pan for about 4 minutes on a high heat. Turn the heat down to medium. Place the burgers on the grill pan or in the frying pan and use a turner to lightly press down on them, making sure the burger is in full contact. Cook them to your liking for 3 or 4 minutes on each side — you may need to cook them in two batches.

To serve your burger

Wash and dry a few small lettuce leaves, tearing up the larger ones. Slice the tomatoes. Peel and finely slice the red onion. Slice the pickles lengthways as thinly as you can. Place all this on a platter and put it in the middle of the table with plates, cutlery, ketchup, and drinks. Transfer your burgers to another plate and carefully wipe your frying pan or grill pan clean with paper towels. Halve your burger buns and lightly toast them on the grill pan or in the frying pan. You could also serve your hamburgers with a chopped salad.

PS. I'd still make this quantity even if it was just for 4 people. I'd wrap the extra 2 burgers in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer.​
    ingredients

• 12 cream or plain crackers, such as Jacob's
    • 8 sprigs of fresh Italian parsley
    • 2 heaped teaspoons Dijon mustard
    • 1 pound good-quality ground beef
    • 1 large egg, preferably free-range or organic
    • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • Olive oil
    • 1 romaine or butterhead lettuce
    • 3 tomatoes
    • 1 red onion
    • 3 or 4 pickles