all American Airlines avoid JetBlue

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Nonprofitexecplat, Jun 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JetBlue sucks. Take it from this AA Exec Plat, 1.3 million miles flown in 7 years. JetBlue sucks. Stay! Way!

jbcarioca and NYBanker like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Could you have any LESS detail? :)

3. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP, why didn't you post a report in the thread you started about flying JetBlue, with more detail so we can all know what sucked.

MrsBobSgt and jbcarioca like this.
  4. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't plan to! But if I had to sit in Y, the choice would be "anybody but American" =P

jbcarioca and JosephMay like this.
  5. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really?! Why!? I'm an EP and I think it beats an MD-80...Leather seats, personal TV, 38" vs. 33" seat pitch.

jbcarioca, JosephMay and viguera like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only flown B6 on one round trip. It was a very good Y product. The live TV and games kept people plenty engaged throughout the entire flight. The crew was fine.

I really only sit in Y on RJs or the occasional shuttle flight (if I don't get upgraded), and the onboard B6 experience was really far superior to normal domestic Y.

On the ground, however, everyone is a kettle and it just sucked. No elite lines or priority check in, etc. They don't even have lounges! :eek: Long queues for everything - and lots of kettles on their one trip that they take every three years - with seemingly all their worldly belongings with them. (This is a figurative statement, I didn't get their exact travel details nor did I verify that they had everything with them. You get the picture.)

I know I'm spoiled with first class seating, priority check-in/security, AA 5* (which I only use when traveling en famille - or when HSBC pays at Christmas), etc. Plain and simple. I really don't want to be washed up with the huddled masses...and am fortunate that I'm smart enough to know how to make enough money that I don't need to be if I don't want to.

I understand B6 is launching (or has launched) some sort of premium economy service. Not sure what this entails, but I'm sure someone on this board, or, gasp, TOBB, will have all the details.

If you're someone who is stuck in Y (for whatever reason) and doesn't have status (nor hope of getting there), B6 is probably the best carrier for you, if their routes line up with yours. Otherwise, I'd avoid B6 like the plague...

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Details would be nice...but I agree with your conclusion!

You have your first Like from me!

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Please send details... I have a schedule flight with JetBlue. Would be nice to know why isn't good for us, EXP, not to fly with them!!!

9. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if the choice were an Eagle ERJ or a B6 320/E190, which would you choose?

MrsBobSgt, jbcarioca and NYBanker like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown them way more than once and I cannot agree with this statement more. JetBlue operates the absolute best domestic coach product in the USA today.

I also agree - to an extent - with this. No elite lines at check in (though at security in 15 airports that is now part of the Even More Legroom product). At the JFK terminal I've never felt a need for a lounge. Sure, I have to pay for the booze but otherwise the terminals at their hubs are is basically like a lounge anyways. And unless you're drinking the cheapest stuff on offer from the bar anyways you would pay in the AAdmirals Club so not a huge distinction there.

When paying for your own travel and on a budget the 38" pitch on the A320s in the EML space is really quite pleasant. Certainly a bit narrower than the AA F seat but not much less pitch and the experience can be confirmed in advance for generally a lot less money. With better IFE and snack/drink service (use some of the significant savings if you want to buy booze on board, too) I'm not sure why you're suggesting they be avoided like the plague unless one is always buying F seats. And there are precious few in that situation.

jbcarioca, Kaanapali and NYBanker like this.
  11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question.

Assuming both AA and B6 were non-stop flights, I'd definitely go AA based on the on-the-ground experience. With my iPad, I'm more than self-sufficient in terms of entertainment. A few extra inches of legroom would be nice (favoring B6), though I can usually finesse an exit row on AA.

Tougher question is where B6 is non-stop, and AA (or DL) is only available with a connection. A good example is LGA/JFK-AUS. B6 is the only non-stop service on this route. (EWR is too inconvenient from my house; I am really CTBanker now.) I was flying this route a few times last year due to a deal down there, and ended up doing the DL connection in ATL. Just couldn't bring myself to deal with B6 at JFK.

Thinking about it further, if I had to do this again, I'd probably connect going, but then do the non-stop on B6 back (AUS is quite a civilized airport, and B6 on the ground there should be relatively fine).

You?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good points/questions.

I'd add the word 'onboard' somewhere in there. EXP/PLT in AA Y will have a better airport experience than any Y pax on B6 - and have a decent chance of not sitting in Y.

For me, it's not about the booze being free (I usually pay for a premium beer at the AC...and it's free at the DL SC), it's not having thousands of people milling around and blaring public address announcements from competing gate agents. Admittedly, some airport clubs can also get more than a little crowded...but that situation, IME, is the exception, not the rule.

I made reference to this as "premium economy" in my post. (I think I learned about it from your blog post, BTW.) Is this basically like E+ on UA? I find that to be only marginally better than regular Y, based on just a few times in their seating. The legroom is nice, but on a full flight, elbow room doesn't improve.

I'm fortunate and am in that lucky club.

If you're an EXP (as the OP is), you're going to be in F the vast majority of the time domestically, so, even if not paying for F, he'll/she'll probably end up there. And by staying EXP he/she will get enough SWUs to tackle at least a bunch of trans-oceanic travel, too. If you're going to get at least level 2 status on a major, and the major's flight schedules work for you, I'd go with the major. If you're an infrequent flyer, and you're going to be in back anyway, B6 or WN are probably best for you.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an EXP, do you usually get an upgrade to F?

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the airport. In general, if it's an ERJ vs A320/E190, I'll take the A320/E190 for flight comfort. If there's an AC at the departure airport, that weighs the equation a different direction.

DCA-BOS had been Eagle ERJ non-stop. AA dropped the route altogether. I'm loving B6 on the route - yes, I miss the AC (different terminals at both DCA and BOS), but the BOS B6 ground staff is better than the Eagle staff. And the flights are far more reliable. I'll definitely take B6 non-stop over an Eagle connection via JFK or a DL CRJ.

I had the same tough question as you when I moved back to DC from SAT. I commuted for the better part of a year. AA to DC was a connection (DFW or ORD) and DL was via ATL (or 2 CRJs via CVG). After several irops, I started making a backup reservation on WN, and finally decided that WN was sufficiently reliable & much more efficient (saved me up to 2 hours each way for regular operations) that I just started using WN for the commute, AA or DL for other travel.

I'm doing M&A work so I'm on planes all the time (mostly AA, sometimes others). It's not so much the entertainment options on B6 as it is the greater legroom if stuck in coach.

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    We think pretty similarly it appears. Time is really the most valuable thing...then everything else is considered secondary.

My LGA-atl-aus routing was an aborration for me...I can't think of another time in the last 10 years where I optionally connected versus taking an available non-stop.

It appears our principal ff credentials are pretty similar...i have AA exp and dl pm too. On your dca-bos runs, DL probably has f on the rjs ... And wifi rolling out as we speak. Plus they have lounges at both fields. Why not consider them for that route? Plus, at the dca sky club, they offer essentially unlimited Amex coupons right now. You could be milking 10,000 miles a trip if you desired.

16. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always do most of the time!

jbcarioca, NYBanker and viguera like this.
  17. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    ah man, I clicked because of the title of the thread! :p
    so disappointed that the OP did not elaborate.... :D

18. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like it.
    I regularly look at the DCA-BOS on DL. Two reasons I find myself on B6 more often: 1) flexibility - if DCA goes down, B6 also has non-stops to IAD. I live between the two airports. and 2) Price. I've pretty routinely priced DL at 2x or more the B6 price. It's tough to pay twice the price even with the additional amenities. It's sorta the same rationale I have for taking Acela to NYC - price less, about the same time to midtown.

NYBanker likes this.
  19. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen a hit and run post on Milepoint or Flyertalk in I can't remember when. OP, please provide details.

SC Flier and canucklehead like this.
  20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you have to compare apples to apples...

If you're "nobody" on the ground then it doesn't matter, because you're going to party with the huddles masses regardless. Once in the air though, flying the same class, it'd be hard to argue that JetBlue has a superior economy product to AA. Virgin would too, except they don't fly anywhere near as many routes. :)

If you're elite then that's different... lounge access and mileage bonuses go a long way for some people, but you can't compare that to flying as a non-elite on another carrier, since it's just not a good comparison.

IMO you could be Double Unobtanium Super Concierge with one airline and if you go fly with another airline that's not even in the same alliance (regardless of agreements), you're not gonna have a good experience. If you start pulling the "DYKWIA" card, it's probably going to be even less fun.

MrsBobSgt likes this.
  21. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Havent been browsing FT much have you? (i can think of about 4 right off) The EU/ORD no expenses thread on the AA board is one that comes readily to hand.

gemac likes this.
  22. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the "only been on JetBlue once" crowd ...mostly due to my location, circumstances and loyalty, but I'm also a member of the "been on AA more than 100 times." All other things being equal I'd opt for B6 over AA for a flight.

...but then again, like (I'm assuming) the OP, my experience is limted...and even then it was on the Pam Ann charter, and nothing compares to that. :p

23. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you saying the b6's economy product on board is comparable to AA's? Or did this come out as a typo?

My view is that the incremental legroom and the ife system on b6 put b6 ahead of AA (and all the legacies) in y when you are comparing just the on-board experience. If your message wasnt a typo, what aspects of AA's onboard y product do you think is comparable or superior to b6?

Vx is an interesting wildcard. I've only flown them a few times - but you get the ife, lounges in a small number of airports (for a fee), a premium cabin and i think a bit more legroom in y (though I don't recall the exact measurements).

24. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    No no, on the contrary, my comment should have been that JetBlue is clearly superior, if you're in the back of the bus.

MrsBobSgt and NYBanker like this.
  25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that's what you meant!

MrsBobSgt likes this.