ALL AIRLINE PARTNER AWARD - India-NorthAmerica - Hawaiian Air Allowed?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Travelman, Apr 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    For some reason it is not clear to me whether Hawaiian Airlines can or cannot be used on al ALL partner Airline award between India/Middle East and North America. I need to connect in LAX to HNL ... and it seems that HA 1 is a better fit connection wise than AA's flights which are either too short of a connection (arrival is consistently late) or zero F award availability on later flights ... so now i am wondering whether F Awards can be used on Hawaiian when connecting from an international flight ... besides the seat/inflight entertainment looks better than AA's 757.
    Thanks for any insights.

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Deleted

It looks like AA changed their policy in the last couple of years. Back a few years ago it was not allowed.

Sorry for the confusion.

3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at connecting in DFW or ORD?

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is this true? AA's website and HA's website seem to say they're available. If they're not those sites should be updated.

OP could maybe try Alaska as a partner who flies to HNL as well if the AA schedules or availability is really that bad. Lots of options, and a good choice, Hawaii is a well served destination!

5. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have looked at connecting in SFO, ORD, DFW & SEA!

The confusion comes from a ** on the ALL Airline Award chart that states that travel on HawaiianAirlines is not allowed on travel to/from North America .. however, nowhere on the chart does a ** appear; whereas all the other items like diamond character, single asterisk, etc do appear on the chart next to some item ... therefore, it is not clear if this is a leftover from some previous restriction that has been lifted but not totally cleaned up everywhere ... I am trying to determine all my options before i call to book reservations ... the more clear and sure I can be the better since I have multiple awards that i will be booking for other flight segments.

The other confusing element is while the Award itself is to/from North America the actual segment is not --- it is domestic within North America --- as part of a larger to/from North America Award.

Furthermore, the Hawaiian Airlines partner page for Earn Miles on the AA site as mentioned in a post above *Seems* to indicate that "these awards allow travel on any combination of AAdvantage participating carriers".

The reasons for my perplexity.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, definitely some odd phrasing. With regards to HA's page on using other airline's miles for awards, perhaps the "trans-Pacific" award mentioned is from Hawaii to Japan/Korea, and not mainland US to Hawaii? I find the use of the term "trans-Pacific" odd for a carrier that bases all its flight around a city that is in the middle of the Pacific and thus nothing actually transits the entire Pacific, but that's just me.

7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Glad someone found what I remembered seeing.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not even sure we know what the truth is. There's a lot of conflicting/confusing information out there!

9. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the reality from the phone conversation with the AAdvantage Desk when I booked the All Partner Awards yesterday.

For this particular section, I was booking TLV>LAX>HNL ...

1) El Al (LY) from TLV to LAX with a stopover in LAX and then continuing on AA to HNL was no problem for my wife 67.5K miles in Biz ....

2) so what happened when i tried using Hawaiian?
    The agent brought up Hawaiian ... said ok just you HA 9 is available but not HA 1 ... reserve... we continue on other routes ... both of us thought there wasn't any problem ... HOWEVER, when she went back to check the mile cost mine was coming up over 100K+ miles needed for these segments!... She was perplexed at first ...but since the only difference in our itineraries was this Hawaiian flight we quickly zoomed in that this was the problem ... it turned out that the 'system" was forcing two awards because this was an All partner award to/from North America .... later i was told that the system states that one can only use AA or Alaska for the flight to Hawaii on this itinerary :(

So i ended up grabbing the only award left for AA on the next day ... and have set a class alert set in expertflyer for the AA flights on the day that i arrive in LAX.

The agent did confirm that i could change dates and flights --- BUT NOT airlines or routing --- without incurring a change fee.