Alitalia Once Again Awarded Best Airline Cuisine

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Gargoyle, Feb 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    For four consecutive years, Alitalia has won the award for Best Airline Cuisine in Global Traveler magazine's GT Readers Tested Survey. Alitalia has also recently received the Expert's Choice Award for its in-flight wine program in Saveur Magazine's 2013 Culinary Travel Awards.

Magnifica Class menus are created and selected in collaboration with Alma, an internationally recognized training center for Italian cuisine. Menus change every three months, and the dishes and wines of different regions of Italy are featured in each direction, so travelers enjoy a new dining experience each way. Wines are carefully paired with the menus in cooperation with the Italian Association of Sommeliers (AIS).

Here's the list of the top ten airlines for cuisine:

Best Airline Cuisine
    1. Alitalia
    2. Etihad Airways
    3. Asiana Airlines
    4. Air France
    5. Swiss International Air Lines
    6. Lufthansa
    7. Qatar Airways
    8. Brussels Airlines
    9. Singapore Airlines
    10. Air New Zealand

jbcarioca, sobore, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH's catering sucks, they shouldn't be up there. I'm surprised Turkish and Austrian aren't listed. I guess these panelists hate Do&Co

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  3. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, I think OS/TK deserve to be up there much more. I'd put AZ up there, but below OS,EY, QR, and TK. SQ is definitely > than LH

jbcarioca, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the observations that OS and TK were snubbed. Are there any criteria available on how the awards and listing was made? Were they all based upon first class service? What about business class and (heaven forbid!) that of coach class service? What flights were actually taken (locations/length of flights) so as to evaluate this service? Or was it all a ground-based survey, by someone checking the boxes on a check sheet while looking at the meal/wine choices available? Inquiring minds wish to know...

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alitalia has no first class. Magnifica is their Long Haul Business Class product. I have never flown it so cannot opine.
    However, I'd rate EK F above the ones I know best. Again, of the ones I know I'd rank them thusly:
    Emirates
    Air France
    Singapore
    Swiss
    Cathay
    Lufthansa
    ...then all the others,
    honorable mention to Aeroflot
    These are all for First, and the rankings seem to be for Business, but I know only AF in Business of those listed, and it is quite fine with me.
    I did not bother to rank the US carriers, which aren't really in this league, nor a few near misses. TAM would have been near the top, but their First is mostly gone and the Business is being rapidly LANized, and that is not good from my perspective, although still much better than the US carriers. Luckily we aren't rating ground service, reservations and the like. if we did that AA would top my list by some distance. the amenities are decent there too, but the food is reminiscent of the typical "calorie palace" around their home base. Oddly, AA's diabetic special meal is a big step up. I'm not diabetic, but I usually order taht option, tasteless though it is because it does not offend my dietary sense of decorum.

Newscience and YULtide like this.
  6. G_G
    Original Member

G_G Gold Member

Status Points:
    This magazine should only be read by italian people :D

Flyer1976, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For regional flights, Aegean does very well in business class meals.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen, Brother! The decline of the US airline industry over the past 20 years or so has been painful to experience, and it becomes even more painful when one realizes that the US flying public has settled for overall 2nd class service!