Alitalia flights (those below 240€) for free

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by SuperEly, Oct 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. SuperEly
    Original Member

SuperEly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guys, I havent been here for a while, and after a quick look at the board i couldnt find any information regarding this amazing deal:

if you go to the japanese alitalia website (http://www.alitalia.com/JP_JA/home/index.aspx) and use the code: PROMOJP you get a 25,000 yen discount. If you book for 2 people, you get 50,000 yen and so on. No minimum order value, so any flight you find below 25,000 yen/person actually is for free.

playing around a little bit with routings you can get for example GVA>NYC>VCE for around 35€ or FRA>MXP for 0€

have fun, and if it was mentioned somewhere on milepoint already, sorry for double post.

edit:
    works for flights up to March 27
    blackout dates December 10 to January 6
    bookable until October 26 (although I guess it will stop working this monday morning the latest)

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Has Alitalia stopped much of their code share in the US? I can't book anything out of ORD or ATL on any of their sites without getting an error message.

3. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just booked :)

4. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    The #AlitaliaDO has been blowing up Twitter! I just booked JFK-MAD for $283 r/t total from 2/1-2/16. Bunch of European cities you can route to for free...Rome, Istanbul, Budapest, Vienna, etc. Now I just have to decide where else to go!

thetravelanalyst likes this.
  5. The Traveller
    Original Member

The Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    The entire Alitalia site is now down. Its unclear if this is because they took it down, or it crashed from so many people entering promo codes. Stay tuned...

**Correction: The Japan Site is down

6. aviator8

aviator8 Silver Member

Status Points:
    same issue here. best rates appear to be out of JFK, so positioning required

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. chff

chff Silver Member

Status Points:
    Deal is over

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to this deal I get to see Malta & Tunisia if Alitalia honors it.

Posted via Smoke Signals.

9. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to see if they honor these. Prepare yourselves for complaints if they start cancelling reservations.

10. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received my email stating:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing alitalia.com.
    We regret to inform you that your ticket purchase has not been processed.
    Any amount debited on your account, will be credited back.

11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's that! I'm not going to bother seeking for compensation since that's a bit ridiculous.

Posted via Smoke Signals.

12. thetravelanalyst

thetravelanalyst Silver Member

Status Points:
    So did my friend. I haven't received anything yet, but am bracing myself.

13. The Traveller
    Original Member

The Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've received these for only 2/4 itneraries I have booked. Interested to see how this plays out, as many have not received these yet.

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    With AZ I can tell you how this will play out....

Even getting cancelled flights which are cancelled due to mechanical reasons of the airline with the passenger on board and then cannot be rebooked or refunded on fully flexible tickets requires a discussion, a letter or two, and 12 weeks....

Customer rights are not the strong point of Italy.

15. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm....yes, but the cancellations can be reported to ENAC using their complaint form, as posted on FT.

Whether AZ honors any of these is another matter but with this kind of fare, one can't give up at the first push from the airline. I have 56 of these confirmed e-tickets saved and I'll ship them all to ENAC.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And there people wonder why airlines are fighting to have these canceled.

17. redtailshark

Status Points:
    First, I don't believe I hold any kind of record here. I just fessed up to the bookings. Like I did on the RGN thread. I only booked nine of the UA 4-mile awards, but someone else stated s/he had booked over seventy of them. Point being, lots of people booked a ton of them as they always do.

Next, they can cancel any number of these anyway, no matter how many book them. OAL's have in the past. The goal here is to push back and establish legal clarification, such as 14.CFR 399.88 in the US. That ruling was in part promulgated in response to BA's dissembling reaction to the DEL misfile in 2009 and a whole string of CC judgments. The EU doesn't have similar law although it does have consumer protection from deceptive advertising. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

I would have bought more of these but I made the error of assuming the 25000 JPY discount applied per booking and so I was booking one pax at a time, mostly. If I'd known better I would have managed 100 or more.

There's something so righteously satisfying about flying to FCO on subverted AZ tickets. I laugh as I approach checkin.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, I didn't claim you hold a record. And second, you just re-emphasized my point.

If I was Alitalia/UA/..., I'd ban folks who do this for life from my airline. "We reserve the right the refuse service..."

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  19. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you dealt with ENAC?

20. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    AZ is going to honor any ticket paid by credit card with more than 0.01€.

21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange that this has not even had one word in an Italian newspaper as of yet- typically this is the type of story they like to pick up on. I read both ilsole24ore and Corriere della Sera on a daily basis- and yet nothing as of yet. Odd....

22. redtailshark

Status Points:
    It's on AZ FB page. As "official" as it gets at the basement in FCO.

This is not the end of the story by any means. AZ has de facto acknowledged the tickets were issued. They've also strengthened the class action lawsuit that is coming by discriminating among those who purchased such tickets on a legally invalid basis. There is nothing in CoC or national or EU law that will support such discrimination on the arbitrary credit card collection criterion they have defined. All tickets were purchased for consideration - in some cases, the PROMOJP voucher was full consideration, and in others it was partial consideration. No matter. The tix were sold and issued and now even AZ acknowledges this.

Regardless of the "fairness" or otherwise, the legal logic for honoring all cases the same way is powerful. We, the sharks who fed in this frenzy, sit tight, and contribute our PNRs to the suit. AZ are likely to have to respond with consideration - they'd be smart to buy us off if they can, but if one e-ticket is honored, they all must be eventually.

I don't need or want all 56 of mine, I'd be happy to give back 20 or 25 of these suboptimal ones, but the thing is: I have to do it, after the tickets are un-voided. All the same.

23. abcx
    Original Member

abcx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apologies in advance for the noob question, but can anyone provide a link to the class action? How do I join?

24. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I got from DOT:

25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know of any precedent for a class action in Italy- so... have fun I guess.