Alitalia FF program

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by r0m8470, Apr 27, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any of you guys ever tried signing up on Alitalia FF program? Their redemption option on partner airlines from NA to Asia for business cabin is quite attractive. I do have Amex MR points that I can use and they are a transfer partner.

I've been spending an hour trying to join the program, but I kept getting errors with no clear explanation on what to correct.

Any of you ever experienced the same thing?

Gargoyle and Newscience like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you're located in Italy and can speak Italian, I would be nervous about their customer service and ability to fix problems efficiently. In fact, even Italian-speaking Italians should probably be nervous......

Also, by law their FF program ends (and restarts) every X years, with remaining mileage balances being lost at that time.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was active in the program for a year, probably 7 or 8 years ago. At the time it was very attractive for non Italian residents. (at the time it was only 50k miles to hit elite plus status, whereas it was 75k for Italian residents. Also the Italian Amex card gave good eqm's on AZ purchases. I actually, and this will shock some folks, applied for the card with one of those airport AMEX hustler reps at MXP)

I only collected enough points for one biz class TATL trip, but that worked out very well. Had to book last minute (maybe 4 or 5 days before the trip), the customer service phone rep got me booked in a 5 or 10 minute phone call. IIRC it was 80 k miles.

I never had to call them for irrops or any other reason besides that one redemption, so my experience was limited but good.

Might help that I speak the language.

OH, and yes, they do by law have to restart the program, I think it's every 5 years, but at least the last three times around they had an option where they would "gift" back your miles to you if you had activity or met a requirement in the first few months of the new program, so you don't necessarily lose your miles at program end.

uggboy, redtailshark and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    keep alert for possible fuel surcharges as well. In general it seems like it could be a theoretically useful program to transfer to, but not one that gets a lot of attention to it.

5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha! Well, here's my very limited direct experience. I've signed up for MM and I flew EY and AZ and DL recently via AUH...yes you know... Well, EY (sector 3) had no problem substituting my AZ number but AZ (sectors 1 and 2) didn't want to substitute my AZ number for the DL number and then DL (sector 5) didn't want to substitute my AS number.... AS did substitute my AS number (sector 6). In theory I should have seen sector 3 credit post to AZ MM.....
    However, I can't even find how to see the balance online.

I'm not sure I will ever achieve @Gargoyle exalted use levels of actually redeeming for TATL J....

uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Are you logging on to the Italian or English version of the site?
    Italian, click "accedi" in the top menu bar, log in, and it should have "saldo miglia" (total miles) with a number on the top towards the right. Next to that is a dropdown for area mille miglia, select estratto conto to see the details.

In the English version, sign in at the top, then there should be a big green square with your total miles and a link to your account details.

uggboy and redtailshark like this.
  7. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the Alitalia customer service is not the best. And the FF Alitalia Millemiglia program expires at the end of 2015, so it is not perhaps the best time to enroll

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Again? I thought it just expired not so long ago.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's the 2013-2015 edition.

Basically use any points right away, or be comfortable with what happens between program "editions"

10. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Millemiglia program ends December 31 2015, but you can use your miles to request flight awards up to June 2016

11. mikeact

mikeact Member

Status Points:
    Forget it, trust me. They'll be long gone soon, just can't/won't compete.