Alinea (Chicago) - experiences....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Gaucho, Oct 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking for feedback from mpoint Foodies on this establishment...

bmg42000 likes this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho likes this.
  3. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A definite experience that I would recommend. As we speak I am looking at my framed menu, (which is provided at the END of the meal..not framed of course), from 11/01/08 (How serendipitous!). An excellent meal that is as much art as meal. Awesome. Well worth the princes ransom to eat there.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know Achatz from his days at Trio..... my then fiancee (now wife) and I were lucky to grab a Chef's table and do the famous Tour de Force, that was a memorable meal. I havent been back to Chicago since, but have been wanting to plan a trip for sometime.

Aside from Alinea, what other good options for high end meals in Chicago...?

5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    This site does not support Explorer.... and Im not about to download another browser to see it. I wonder who is behind such a site and why the foolishness of not supporting IE....

:rolleyes:

6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    :) unfortunately they are not selling tickets now. You can try calling them

7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tickets....?

Since when do you have to buy tickets to go to a restaurant..... sorry but, what am I missing....?

8. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    the hype and probably a memorable meal.

I have not been to Alinea nor Next but like you know Achatz from his days at Trio. Mrs Sweet Willie & I dined on the tour de force at Trio. wonderful.

Another excellent chef from Trio was Shawn McClain of Green Zebra & Custom House & now closed Spring.

Gaucho likes this.
  9. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah.... Sir SW.... yes, I owe it to your excellent tip, you made that Chicago trip most special.

To clarify, Im not against buying tickets, its just that I was not aware of the buying a ticket format for a restaurant... heck, to see Achatz at his best I will do whatever the system dictates.

Im surprised you have not been to Alinea or Next... if you dont mind me asking, why is this...? Must I assume there are better places to dine at.... please tell me and I will go wherever you say... for Chicago, you are my Food Sensei !!! :cool:

Thank you.... cheers from EZE...
    Alex / Gaucho

10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I surprised as well. Alinea has been on our radar for awhile but other places keep coming up and the primary reason is we've been really enjoying the pursuit of off the radar restaurants/dishes.

I'd add after a meh meal at L20, we've almost become gun shy at spending the $ for top end restaurants.

I've also been sharing my cooking more with friends & associates. Last night, for instance, I cooked at a client's house. He provided the wine & I cooked the meal (starter: Mexican style shrimp cocktail, side: roasted poblano peppers stuffed w/ground lamb, golden raisins, chopped almonds, bit of goat cheese, and the main: marinated grilled skirt steak tacos w/all the homemade (& grown) toppings (cilantro, grilled peppers & cebolas, refried black beans, crema, guacamole) . His wife made her terrific carrot cake for the finish. There was something very satisfying sitting around with good friends, good wine & good food made by the folks sitting at that table.

I'll still get to top end restaurants from time to time but right now, I'm on a different food train.

Gaucho likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good for you SW..... I do quite a bit of cooking & grilling myself. I enjoy doing this for friends... now with 2 small kids its more work but my better half and I still do this quite often, although for small groups.

We are having a mpointer over for lunch tomorrow.... I will be grilling a few things... :cool:

Sweet Willie likes this.
  12. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You might really like Girl & the Goat given your willingness to be adventurous. I've dined there three times in the past three months and every meal was memorable. They have a LOT of pig/goat items on the menu, all quite good. But the fish and vegetable sections of the menu are quite astounding as well.

The joint is definitely a reservations kind of place but more casual hipster type dress seems to be the norm and goes well with the rather industrial finish-out. It can get loud, so not somewhere to hold business negotiations or expect a quiet romantic meal.

Cocktails are quite inventive (ask for a bourbon drink with Stephanie's private batch from downstairs, the "Goat Trace") and the wine list was rather refreshing in how non-standard it was.

This is what we tried on our last visit there (which was actually split into a mini bar visit one evening followed by a larger dinner the next night with a girlfriend who works there). My friend was kind enough to send us the complete list the next day of everything the kitchen sent out for us, both nights:

BREAD
    pretzel . honey mustard butter . 1000 island

OYSTERS
    raw shibumi . radish mignonette . tarragon
    fried naked cowboys . egg salad . capers
    wood fired moonstone . horseradish . bacon . preserved lemon

VEGETABLES
    sauteed green beans . fish sauce vinaigrette . cashews
    kohlrabi salad . fennel . evalon . pear . toasted almonds . ginger dressing
    hen of the woods mushroom ragout . sweet potato agnolotti . shroom creme fraiche . capers

FISH
    seared scallops . pumpkin brandade . fried brussels . pomegranate . spiced pecans
    escargot ravioli . bacon . tamarind-miso sauce

MEAT
    wood oven roasted pig face . sunny side egg . tamarind . cilantro . potato stix
    grilled pork ribs . tomatillo-mushroom slaw . grilled scallion vinaigrette

DESSERT
    apples . blue cheese gelato . thyme honey . spiced marcona almonds
    chocolate bouchon . foie fluff . salted toffee . milk chocolate sorbet . passion fruit sauce
    pork fat doughnuts . honey yogurt . carmelized figs . lemony eggplant . hamm streusel
    goat cheese bavarois . brown sugar cake . citrus blueberries . marcona caramel

others that you tried on 10/10/11...
    roasted cauliflower . pickled peppers . pine nuts . mint
    chickpea fritters . eggplant-tomatillo caponata . crave brother's mozzarella
    sweet n' sour cod cheeks. bacon . potato aioli . tempura broccoli

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review TechGirl.... :cool: