Ali Price, queen of KIVA

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by fcjapan, May 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that she is undergoing training in how to deal with you and I.
    I expect she will be ready to post here within the decade.

nime01, jbcarioca, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  3. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mostly about baskets, expiring loans, defaulting loans, etc....oh and about people that pay back one penny per month when nothing is even due just to 'get ahead!'

nime01, jbcarioca, YULtide and 3 others like this.
  4. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ali will be too distracted talking to a blue faced, blue man with no arms, hands, legs, to care about my one tooth.

nime01, jbcarioca, fcjapan and 3 others like this.
  5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is this the let's scare Ali away from having anything to do with Milepoint Kiva team thread?
    I wonder if Kiva pays her enough to deal with the likes of us?

nime01, jbcarioca, fcjapan and 3 others like this.
  6. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps we should donate more to Kiva when we loan to help Ali feel loved!

nime01, jbcarioca, fcjapan and 2 others like this.
  7. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    She's out of country for a week or so. I'm sure she will be drinking heavily before returning to the States and entering the world of Milepoint.

I think given our raucous personalities, we should perhaps donate every time she even posts. :)

nime01, jbcarioca, fcjapan and 2 others like this.
  8. AliatKiva

AliatKiva Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Milepointers!

I have to say, I'm honored, excited, and a bit intimidated by this thread, and I'm really looking forward to working more closely with you and with the rest of our online community on Kiva. I've been a little disconnected over this past week and will likely continue to be this week as I'm still out of the country, but I'll definitely be present on this message board in the future.

@FCJapan and Miles and Smiles, I've got a few years under my belt of working with some pretty crazy personalities, so it's hard to get me too worked up. (Don't take that as a challenge though please!) Joking aside, I really have been so impressed by you guys and am thrilled to work together with you do grow our online and offline communities and spread Kiva.

Ali

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome. :)

10. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Ali,

Glad to have you on board!

11. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh it is time to give a DONATION (not a loan) since she has posted :D

And done :) Not a big one from here, just donated my not enough for a loan credit, but it was something :)

nime01, jbcarioca, tondoleo and 5 others like this.
  12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hi Ali,

Welcome!

I've seen some of the questions/requests/complaints you've received on Kiva Friends, so I expect that most of us will be tame compared to that. :p Enjoy your travels and we will see you around.............

nime01, jbcarioca, tondoleo and 4 others like this.
  13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

Ali is a tough customer and I will make sure that if you are ever in SF, she runs you over with her tandem bike should you give her too much trouble! :p

Jubileesmom, nime01, YULtide and 6 others like this.
  14. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a question for Ali too - how many of us can stay at your house when we all come to San Francisco next year? I'll clean up my empty beer bottles, I'll even share my beer with you!

15. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh this poor woman....I'm sure she's wondering "How early is too early to drink at the office? 7? I can wait until 7AM."

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello Ali. I hope we've not scared you away.

17. AliatKiva

AliatKiva Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for my absence! I'm getting caught up and will be more vocal here in the future.

Great question. The system is bringing in more money overall, although I don't have really specific numbers that I can share. I've just started working on a blog post outlining what's been happening so far, and we're hoping to get that posted on the Kiva blog sometime next week. I'll be exploring the data to write that post and will be sure to include more info in there.

18. AliatKiva

AliatKiva Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did that reply qualify for 2 Kiva loans?! :)

19. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ali,
    I put this question out there for Matt as well, but since I put it up to him, there has been even further information learned about the loan which is troubling.

This is from me alone, I speak only for myself.

This loan is a bit troubling due to lack of transparency. Barefoot Power, a company is 'sponsoring' Martin for a loan to buy a large stock of their own products, correct? So Martin via Barefoot comes to Kiva for their lenders to get a 0% loan to I guess, sell this product at a profit to Tanzania residents? This is implied, but not answered. OK, so they stop using oils and all to give light to their home, but who walks away with the profit from this 0% loan being made? Why does this 'deserve' to be a 0% loan exactly? Is this a 'green loan' and 'innovation' loan, or cheap capital for someone to fleece poor people in Tanzania thought selling solar products? Are there any products like the Solar Bottle light projects to teach people to make their own safe, effective light sources for daytime lighting in their homes? What is being done by this 'barefoot power' or Martin to help them except to market a product to them? Not trying to offend or be negative, but this type of capital request surely opens up some questions, and if they would like to achieve success in funding, should be willing to answer candidly before the lenders among us jump on the SME bandwagon. I am not out to help people take advantage of the poor among us, but to lift them up through micro-finance, and when the landscape changes, the questions, transparency and willingness to be honest and answer the lenders questions should be considered as well.

Now since then it has been learned this is actually an official of a church and his wife that is also employed by the church and the end goal is to finance their church operations by sales of these solar powered lights. I am a person of faith and a Christian myself, but I am personally troubled by the fact that they are seeking from Kiva a 0% interest loan to draw PROFIT from an extremely poor people group and expand their churches, as well meaning as they may be, this is simply not the way to do things and should be DISCLOSED on the loan request! There is a major ethical issue in preventing this from being disclosed upfront. I know people that would in fact fund it just for this fact because it is helping a church to grow, but my issue is that it is at the cost of the Tanzanian people and seeking to profit from them. I'd much rather see them sell at cost to the people and seek donations through Kiva in some regard than put it on the back of the poor people group in this 'green loan'. There is also no disclosure of the salary those expats there will be making off of this, what the benefit is $ wise to barefoot power, and there is little accountability to it even as there is to non profits in the US. This is a troubling turn and IMO the issues brought up here should be addressed when one seeks out a 50k loan on a 'micro loan' site.

IDGflygirl, nime01, kiwi and 7 others like this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ali, it does indeed. fcjapan has met his match!!:D Well done, Ali!

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with every word, Stephen.

nime01, YULtide, scarecrow and 3 others like this.
  22. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also agree.
    Many of us are very passionate about micro lending.
    This type of loan is very problematic.

YULtide, Toula, scarecrow and 4 others like this.
  23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am so very sorry, fcj. Here, maybe this will help.
    products_original.jpg

25. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sending this to Jonny! He needs to keep an eye on you, or maybe distract you by putting some Zip in your life! :D