Alerts when award seats open up

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by keepinitsimple, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

keepinitsimple Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any tool that will alert me via email when award space opens up? Preferably something that will check award availability several times a day instead of just once. Willing to pay for a service that does it for LH

joesmoe likes this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    ExpertFlyer does this for many airlines, but it appears LH does not provide this information to them. May be worth a post on the ExpertFlyer forum here to see if that may change?

joesmoe and sobore like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Expertflyer has on occasion accessed Miles & More Lufthansa inventory, but as a general matter it does not (and note that this is the Lufthansa award space open to Miles & More members not to partners).

Randy's MileageManager product does automatic award searches and emails you when space opens up. It is limited to specific programs and uses your login credentials. I haven't used it recently but since I believe it included United, and the United website now searches Lufthansa availability, it may now cover Lufthansa as well. I believe it searches nightly.

AwardNexus searches Lufthansa space via one of the Star Alliance methods. Each search you set up will search once per day. But presumably you could set up more than one search, set to go at different times, and you'd be able to meet your desire for more than once daily that way.

miloki, joesmoe and SC Flier like this.
  4. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Gary.
    ExpertFlyer doesnt have LH partner availability now. Not subscribing due to that.

Award Nexus pricing model is complicated. I dont mind paying 100 USD. But that seems to buy me only a certain number of searches. If i am not wrong, AwardNexus doesnt have to pay any GDS for every query. So cannot understand this usage model. So will take a pass for now.

Goint to try out mileage manager and if it works, will pay

5. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    Any LH award inventory information from the UA award search would be from UA's point of view and not Miles & More. Given UA's history of StarNet blocking, they could be different things.

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which *A FF program are you trying to book LH award seats through?

7. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    xxxxx
    UPDATE: Removed airline program until my trip is over

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Then bear in mind that US Airways has real difficulty seeing LH transatlantic first class even when available, not sure if you're looking for F...

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    While there's been current blocking (crazy, there hadn't been but about 10 days of blocking in the previous 11 months), I'd expect it to loosen about a week into May.

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't expect any seats being opened by lh for us. Not high on lh's priority list.

11. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I got F in 1 direction. Got C in the other. Looking to upgrade to F

12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    wow, then you are the exception and not the rule with redemption luck!!

13. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used MileageManager in the past for this. However it only checks once a day iirc, and even premium accounts are limited to 5 searches at a time.

Also, I just found LH F availability to FRA in June, on my first call. Through aeroplan.

14. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    nice find. I keep calling for a may 4 flight to germany to move from biz to f on a reward ticket, but the standard "no sir, no seat is currently available in F....".

15. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did have to check slot of routings, and am very flexible with dates, two luxuries one isn't afforded when trying upgrade an existing booking.

Also a little further the dates.

Good luck though! Keeeep calling

16. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to reach LH revenue management to open up F award seats for my flight with proof of my C seats on same flight? if they think they won't sell the F seats, then they might open it up to get incremental revenue.

I dont know how inter-airline pricing works for award seats though. And LH might consider the posibility that someone might snag those F seats before I do.

17. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is highly unlikely, but the answer is always no if you don't ask. You'd probably have a better shot if you went through the last 20 or so pages of the US Airways *A award thread on FT and finding out how to long sell.

18. keepinitsimple
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did a long sell to get my F seats for outbound journey. For inbound no availability to do a long sell.. which is where RM might come in to open the seats so that US could long sell it.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  19. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha, already off to a good start then!