ALERT- Fidelity said they are pulling back my Delta points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by toddreg, Aug 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got the AMEX Membership Rewards card and was trying to register it for the Fidelity bonus point promotion that they still are running. I received an email back saying my account wasn't eligible.

When I called they said I had already applied for the Delta promotion and that I hadn't complied with their terms which require keeping the funds in for 6 months. I told them that had nothing to do with the new promotion and that I should be allowed to register for the new one seeing that they do not know if I will keep the funds in there or not. One has nothing to do with the other. The rep was quite snippy and said he was only conveying the information the other department he had to check with during the conversation had passed to him. He said I had not complied and that the points would be pulled back out of my Delta SM account.

Can they do this, is there a way to head it off and thirdly has anyone actually had this happen yet. Regardless of the Delta situation they have no reason to exclude someone from a legitimate offer and that ticks me off. I would keep the funds in at this point with 100,000 points on the line but they won't let me in. To escalate or not, that my friend is the question.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like they aren't using "Past performance is no indication for future results", but rather the age-old Texas saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again"

Sorry, no idea if they can and will in fact claw back your Delta miles.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Do you have a link to the Fidelity offer? Have you read all the terms and conditions of the offer?

Many times, offers are "once in a lifetime" and it appears that this may be the case.

4. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for misspelling Fidelity. The offers are stackable. The AA offer was for new accounts but the Delta and AMEX MR offers were just for new money.

5. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    My overall impression is that their autopilot computer systems are very lax and poorly designed permitting rewards that Chase does not. Their people are the exact reverse being overly strict and confrontational to even their best customers. I think there is a very good chance that the people may claw back the miles.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  6. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Look, we are all adults here. As a business owner, I would agree with them.

Seems like you came up on their radar trying to take advantage of a new promotion, and it brought up the one that you failed on. As a result, they did not want to extend another offer to you, and are going to claw back the first promo offer.

Were you supposed to keep it there 6 months and you took it out early? And they did not pull the miles back? And now you wanted to double dip?

If it is within the TOS and T&C, I cannot give you any sympathy, especially when it is a promotion and you are getting something for free.

7. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just found this one...

https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offers/registration_delta.shtml#rules

does not state how long you have to keep it there, but keep in mind...

"Fidelity Investments reserves the right to modify, change or alter the terms and conditions of the promotional offer in its sole discretion at any time. Fidelity Investments may terminate this promotional offer at any time. Other terms and conditions may apply."

Meaning, they can do whatever they want.

Get us a link to the offers and we can take a look at the specific T&C's.

Lufthansa Flyer and Kalboz like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:

9. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks Kal. =) I knew it had to be there, I went through it too quickly.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. skynerd

skynerd Active Member

Status Points:
    I believe it was a few weeks ago when a user at FlyerTalk claimed to have sent a URL of the FT thread on these bonuses to Fidelity customer support. Toddreg's report is both worrying in the sense that it may be a herald of a coming crackdown and valuable in that it may enable others in the midst of pursuing this promotion to save their bonuses by keeping their deposits at Fidelity for the six months if possible. Thanks, Toddreg, for sharing what may, for some, be actionable news.

Quasiconvexity likes this.