Albany or Syracuse?

Discussion in 'EWR/LGA/JFK/ISP/HPN/SWF | NYC Area Airports' started by lisamcgu, Nov 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Planning a trip to Herkimer, NY and was told either is 45 min away. I love smaller airports like John Wayne, Burbank and Palm Springs. Since both seem to serve aa, usair and united, I would prefer the one that is smaller, and as such easier to get in and out of to our destination. Yes, we will be renting a car, preferably National with our Exec status, thank you very much milepoint :)

uggboy likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither is 45 minutes away, mostly because the two cities are 2+ hours apart. https://goo.gl/maps/iBk61

I've never flown in to ALB. SYR is relatively small but not all that "special" in terms of getting in and out.

lisamcgu and viguera like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Albany isn't much better, I'm in Rensselaer (which is about 15 minutes north of Albany) about once a month and I really wish I didn't have to go most of the time :)

lisamcgu and Newscience like this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go to SYR. It's about an hour away, unless it snows heavily.

lisamcgu likes this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my opinion it's an easier trip from SYR -- usually lighter traffic and a somewhat more direct route. Neither airport is spectacular as far as services go.

lisamcgu likes this.
  6. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably because if you're 15 minutes north of Albany you're getting quite lost. :p ;)

lisamcgu likes this.
  7. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I lived all over NY and none of the air ports are anything to right home about unfortunately. The syracuse airport is probably slightly easier to get to herkimer from.

lisamcgu likes this.
  8. msv
    Original Member

msv Gold Member

Status Points:
    There will be some significant roadwork around ALB airport next year. If you were going to hunt "diamonds" in the nice weather I'd avoid it.

lisamcgu likes this.
  9. cheepneezy
    Original Member

cheepneezy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The roadwork will probably make a 90 second drive to the highway a 3-4 minute drive, the alternative of which is to take a secondary highway which is even more direct if going west. I wouldn't change plans based on that.

lisamcgu likes this.
  10. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like SYR is the majority winner. Thanks everyone! (And yes msv, thought a summer family trip to find crystals and stay in the KOA next door, with its planetarium cabin, was in order. Daughter is a fan of some show that features the Crown Plaza so we may make the drive to the city, and also may hit Niagra Falls. Still feel like a chicken hunting and pecking my way around NY state, but everyone's input is helping me to figure it out :D

msv likes this.