Albany airport travelers say no to cellphone calls on flights

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Dec 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Airline passengers at Albany International Airport, whether traveling for business or leisure, oppose letting fellow travelers use their cellphones for calls while in the air.

That’s according to a survey of 428 passengers taken Dec. 2 through 5 at the airport. Business travelers opposed cellphone calls in flight by a margin of 60 percent to 27 percent. Thirteen percent had no opinion.

Leisure travelers opposed the move by an even larger margin: 83 percent to 8 percent, with 9 percent voicing no opinion.

“We feel it is important that the voices of Albany travelers be heard in Washington and their opinions be part of the decision-making process,” said Rev. Kenneth Doyle, acting chair of the Albany County Airport Authority.

Read More:
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

very few people it seems can have a cell phone conversation at a low volume level in "normal" environments, now put these same folks in an enclosed tube of an aircraft with lots of ambient noise, leads to a nightmare level of chatter volume while flying.

I have no doubt that eventually cell calls will be allowed, for now I'm very grateful they are not.
  3. gaijin62

gaijin62 Gold Member

I, also, agree that cellphone conversations should not be allowed on planes. There are enough other means of nonverbal communication that talking on the phone is unnecessary. With Skype chat, Yahoo IM, AOL IM (does anyone even use that anymore?), email, text, and facebook you can effectively communicate with anyone and not say a word.

I know that most international flights don't have internet connections, but even that is starting to change. Singapore Airlines, as an example, is beginning to install broadband services on their long haul 777 and A380 fleets.

And as for me personally, I find it very relaxing to be out of touch for a few hours....but that's just me.