Alaska Visa eliminating 1000 bonus points/ticket

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Seacarl, Jul 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the paperwork I received with my Alaska Visa, you earn two miles per dollar when booking Alaska tickets on the card. I personally don't use it for that as the AMEX Gold Business card is giving me three miles per dollar on flight purchases.

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The extra 1000 points more than made up for whatever other bonus offers were out there. With that gone, the Amex Gold Rewards or the Chase Sapphire seem more attractive. And I wonder whether I should just cancel the Alaska Visa...

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The good thing about the Alaska Visa is that you can cancel it and later get another one for the bonus points. I have done that three times so far.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another good reason to cancel.

I just need to book out the companion certificate I got with the card, then I can cancel it, or do I keep the cert even if I cancel?

6. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was probably too good to last, but it looks like they are conforming to the industry "standard" with the credit card.

I'll likely get one when they have a better bonus come out (40-50k), and I still like their program way better than DL or potentially AA. If I wasn't earning so many miles with AA I would use AS as my primary miles program even with all of the earning changes.

It's worrying to think that earning on AS on the ground is starting to resemble SPG though.

bobsgt and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    You need to use an AS card to pay for your $99 companion fare reservation (though it doesn't have to be your card - I used Mrs. B's) but otherwise no need to use for AS flights.

No it is actually inferior to industry standard, with the exception of the $99 companion cert.

IMO industry standard (Chase UA and Citi AA) = free 1st checked bag, priority security line, priority boarding and perhaps club passes. BofA AS provides none of these benfits.

P.S. I like SPG, IMO the top levels (Plat and up) are far superior to the competition. I just wish it was easier to qualify for Plat without 25 stays as you can with Marriott and Hilton.