Alaska Legislator Refuses Scan & Fondle

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by MikeMpls, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    AmericanGirl and MikeMpls like this.
  3. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    glad to hear some politicians taking a stance.

4. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    She is a shining example for America.

5. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Alaska House of Representatives passed a resolution today supporting her stand and refusal.

6. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically, she did not refuse the scan, as the attempted pat-down was the result of “suspicious” scar tissue from a recent mastectomy that appeared on the scan.

7. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had not heard this story and am appalled. Now, or maybe it has always been, people with scar tissue have to be graped? Wow...I am speechless. What about females whose breasts have a lot of fibrous tissue? Time for yet another letter to my Congressional delegation. It's a bit early for me, but below is what I just submitted. Probably could have done better, but until next time.

Dear Senator Durbin,

I read with dismay the recent story about AK State Representative Sharon Cissna's situation with the TSA at SEA-TAC airport.

Direct Quote: "A female agent placed herself blocking my passage. Scan results would again display that my breast cancer and the resulting scars pointed a TSA finger of irregularity at my chest. I would require invasive, probing hands of a stranger over my body. Memories of violation would consume my thoughts again.”

We spend so much money on expensive scanners, which unto themselves are invasive with explicit naked images, and yet are still subjected to strangers touching our bodies. If this technology cannot ascertain scar tissue from padding for example, then what good are they?

I have been consistently subjected to searchs as well because I wear an insulin pump and refuse to go through the AIT. Even if I do not alarm the WMD, when I refuse the AIT I always get a "secondary" which I feel is a form of intimidation and retaliation for not doing so.

I would like to know where you stand on this issue and any solutions you may have to deal with this erotion of our rights as Americans to travel within our boundaries without violation. I have seen a lot of responses given to constiuents across the nation that are boilerplate "anything for security" and frankly they don't hold much weight.

Have you or your colleagues sought to gather a panel of frequent flyers to gain insight from our perspective or would you consider to do so?

Finally, if the DHS is able to spend so much money on technology that has not been fully tested, but deemed safe, are they not willing to spend money to really train the TSA Agents? These agents are rude, disrespectful, harsh physically and lack real training or knowledge. This is where the dollars would be better spent to employ a TSA workforce that is truly equipped to do the job. Not to mention background checks and vetting to solve the issues of possible predators and thievery.

I look forward to your personal response and I thank you,

Regards,