Alaska Hotels

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by arshavin, Dec 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi

I am planning for July 4th weekend trip to Alaska for family and I would be flying into Anchorage. I am currently looking for hotels in Anchorage, and was wondering if you have some advice for me. I would be traveling with family (one kid, 2 adults) and plan to stay there 4 nights.

anileze and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a Hilton right in downtown - very centrally located.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza ANC - Midtown (not really a midtown in the city sense) and had a very good stay. Comfrotable beds, large rooms, easy (free) parking.

arshavin and anileze like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it hasn't changed, we stayed at the Sheraton Downtown ANC. It was fine. As a Sheraton it could be classed a 3 Star. But for Alaska it is probably a 4Star. On the edge of downtown, there is a somewhat sketchy area between it and the rest of downtown, but most of the area around downtown could be considered sketchy. We had no problems walking to the downtown area.

If you are planning to stay in Anchorage for all four days I would probably look at the Hilton or one of the other hotels downtown. But remember, the hotels in Downtown Anchorage are the base for many of the tours that are associated with Cruiselines or major tour companies. As such they can be crowded AND really expensive for what you get.

If you are touring a little, you might want to look at the south side of Anchorage or up in Wasilla/Palmer area. Or if it is just a 4 day vacation, Girdwood, though expensive has everything you could possibly dream.

arshavin and anileze like this.
  4. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you going somewhere after Anchorage? Or before?

I'd rent a car and look at various suite hotels located outside the downtown area - "midtown," airport area, etc.

You also ought to look at the Alyeska resort in Girdwood. There's lots to do - aerial tram, touring Turnagain Arm, hikes, etc. - close to the resort. http://www.alyeskaresort.com/index.aspx

Girdwood's Forest Fair is that weekend - parade, lots of booths, food, fun activities for the kids. Way better IMO than the typical tourist schlunk in downtown Anchorage.

PS - don't expect fireworks. Too light at night.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotels in Anchorage during the Summers are a rip off. You'd be better off staying at local boutique B&Bs in Talkeetna or Girdwood depending on your plans up there in the Lower 48 it ain't.

Mapsmith and anileze like this.
  6. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Downtown Anchorage hotels worthwhile are all located between 3rd Ave & 6th and I St. and B St. If you have a car then you can cross the city limits. ANC is expensive for comparable properties elsewhere :(

Mapsmith and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the hotels in midtown over the ones downtown. But then I don't spend all of my time in Anchorage when I go up there. I really like Alyeska too.

Mapsmith, anileze and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been to Anchorage 17 times and it helps to have friends up there that I can stay with. :D

I prefer to travel out and explore more of the Lower Interior and Denali as well.

Mapsmith and anileze like this.
  9. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the downtown Hilton in September. Though it was decently priced, it is badly in need of a renovation. Only good thing was the location to some of the places I visited, and the staff working the lounge.

Maybe Hyatt will expand to Alaska in the next few years..

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Mapsmith, Flyer1976 and anileze like this.
  10. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan to stay in Anchorage for now. I will check out the Alyeska resort and see if it is something that interests us.

Mapsmith and Flyer1976 like this.
  11. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was surprised to see there is no Hyatt there too.

Mapsmith likes this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Believe me... It will interest you plus it's in such a beautiful place for hiking adventures. ;)

Mapsmith likes this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Sheraton is a cruise hotel we price lined it at $70.00 nice hotel,and some decent places to eat within walking distance.

Cruise companies set up free breakfast, and it is easy to be friendly,

Seen a guy sleeping outside at the Hilton, in a sleeping bag.