Alaska/Hawaiian Air to HNL

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by USAF_Pride, Dec 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone redeemed (or is it even possible) an F award ticket to HNL on either carrier using pesos?

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might have more luck routing via OAK/SJC/SAN and perhaps PDX and BLI than SEA. Not knowing where you're coming from, it is hard to say if that is practical.

3. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am coming from MI, so I can get to any of those places. How do I actually book it?

4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea - I know nothing about the DL program, but am familiar with AS and where award space has tended to pop up.

5. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can book F tickets on DL.com for partners like Alaska and Hawaiian. Hawaiian tickets may have limits to fly only interisland. You won't see either in the award calendar - you must try specific date combos, but they can be booked online.

Also any AS and HA flights will price at low level for Hawaii which is still a lot of miles, but makes them easy to find compared to DL metal flights at double the miles.

You can check AS.com for award space via their calendar - look for low F space 30 days ahead or use expert flyer too.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  6. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can easily look for availability on Alaska's website and then call DL to book it. It is important that if you see a result on AS that it include only DL and AS segments without any AA segments. I'm not sure what the low rate is for Hawaii redemptions but they must be available at that rate for DL to be able to see them. This is by far the best way to search for AS availability.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  7. Erasmus
    Original Member

Erasmus Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS awards to HI are actually quite easy to score, especially out of secondary markets. DL can book them no problem if you see availability on AS' website or EF. The really nice thing is AS' routing rules are generally pretty flexible, so you can typically make it work if you can find availability.

Keep in mind that if you try to add an HA tag you'll get hit for an additional 5/10K---they do not throw them in for free, even if everything is "low". (AFAIK, HA is the only partner that has space at anything other than low; it will sometimes price at Medium, but still won't blend nicely with a DL Medium award IME.)

I do not believe you can book HA awards to/from the mainland with SkyMiles, only inter-island.

(Of course, the downside is AS is not the nicest ride to the islands, especially in F, but they're far easier to score than most.)