Alaska Airlines rolls out Wi-Fi system

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by sobore, Jun 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9NJS87O0.htm

More than 90 percent of Alaska Airlines planes will be equipped with wireless Internet by the end of the month, the carrier said Thursday.

The regional airline said passengers will be able to access the Web with computers and handheld devices using inflight Internet provided by Aircell. The company expects installation to be complete by the end of June.

The service is available for $4.95 and up, based on length of flight and the device that is used. A 24-hour inflight Wi-Fi pass and monthly subscriptions are also available.

gleff likes this.
  2. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old news :p

The real "new" news here is that 90% of the aircraft will be equipped by the end of the month. 90% sounds a little low, though--I'm not sure if that's the final expected total (maybe they aren't planning on wifi-ing the 737-400 Combis [half cargo/half passenger], or maybe they just have a few more 734s to do (though out of the four 734s I flew on in May, all four had wifi!) than I thought.

3. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    You still lose the wifi on some routes that end up over Canadian air space, or the transpacific routes from what I've heard. I am of the mind that for now at least, the flight is my escape time! I am not available for the endless questions and issues that come to me via email and I want to keep it that way for a little bit longer :)

4. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well technically West Coast+ANC-HNL is half a transpac ;) Aircell is planning to roll out a satellite solution in a couple of years for overwater routes, probably for beckoa :D

beckoa and kayet like this.
  5. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    LMAO, you know someday, I will be on a flight or in the club with all these names I see so often!

6. kayet
    Original Member

kayet Gold Member

Status Points:
    OT but I met up with beckoa in the SEA BR today, you would have been most welcome to join the fun, do sometime soon!
    Back on topic - beck isn't the only one who would like to see satellite in the near future... how are you supposed to book your next travel while halfway to OGG with this current system! :eek: ;)

ctporter and bakedpatato like this.
  7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me it would devolve into 'Yo Dawg, herd you liek SAN-OGG so we booked a SAN-OGG while flying SAN-OGG so you can go poor while going poor' ;)

ctporter, jackal and kayet like this.
  8. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I need wifi tmpac :D

9. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which BR visit was this :oops: Been in soo many lately with random folks :p