Alaska Airlines Magazine.. the thread.

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by beckoa, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Each Month AS has a new magazine, and sometimes there are interesting articles in it. Recently the publisher has made it available online for your viewing without a visit to the airport for a copy. Of course paper copies are more fun, but the interface they created seems to work rather well.

This thread is a nice place to highlight those articles and anything else of interest regarding the Magazine. [​IMG]

bakedpatato and jackal like this.
  2. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    The March issue offers an article entitled An Oenophile's Eden; a look at wine in Napa Valley, and should be of some interest to a few on MP. Also had an article with a survey of cultural events in Hawaii, but wish it had a comprehensive listing of all the various festivals, no matter the size. Oh well, that's why we have the internet [​IMG]

jackal likes this.
  3. alphaeagle
    Original Member

alphaeagle Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have they announced what they are going to do with the Horizon Magazine? Took a look at it yesterday and thought it was the same (same cover photo) but did have different content. Not that I really care, but it is sort of nice being at least a little bit different as there is something new to read when getting on a Horizon plane.

4. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be great if they had a way of accessing this that wasn't dependent on Flash. Bonus points if they optimize for the iPad.

jackal likes this.
  5. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think they were going to keep the QX Magazine, but not certain...

6. fooko2002
    Original Member

fooko2002 Active Member

Status Points:
    I recall this being the case as well. I think that as long as the QX Magazine is continuing to get advertising from a specific group of companies that know the magazine will be on flights to the smaller markets that they want to attract, it will continue.

7. flytoeat
    Original Member

flytoeat Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure it won't be too long when we say "remember when they used to have in flight magazines?"

8. alphaeagle
    Original Member

alphaeagle Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bet they would be gone already if they were not revenue positive. I'm glad though, I do like flipping through them.

jackal likes this.
  9. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is one benefit in-flight mags have--they have a bit of a captive audience.

IIRC, I read recently that Delta was trying to market Sky beyond the walls of the aircraft. I like reading in-flight magazines, but I'm not sure I would pay for a subscription. I barely have enough time to read the magazines I already subscribe to, which are specialized to subjects I'm interested in; I wouldn't pay for a general-interest magazine.

That said, I do keep a copy of the in-flight magazine every month I fly and have a collection going back to around 1995.

10. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a stack of airline mags at home that I just can't seem to toss into the recycling bin. Some day when I get organized, or maybe when they've all been discontinued, I'll hock them on eBay. Anyone need an Autumn 2000 Britania?