Alaska Airlines Flight Attendants Say New Uniforms Are Making Them Sick

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by sobore, May 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/alaska-airlines-flight-at_n_1478660.html

A group of Alaska Airlines flight attendants says their new uniforms are literally making them sick.
    In a letter to the airline president last month, union leaders representing about 2,800 flight attendants said one in 10 employees were affected by the new company-issued duds, complaining of itching hair loss and other maladies.

Speaking to Seattle's King5 news, one flight attendant said "I’ve never had a uniform like this. I broke out this week. I broke out on my back first, then on my legs."

The outfits, made by uniform maker TwinHill, may be contaminated with tributyl phosphate, King5 reports, citing union sources. The chemical is a toxic solvent that's used in synthetic textile manufacturing.

An official with the airline tells King5 that two alternate uniforms have been made available to flight attendants. Meanwhile Alaska union members are bracing for a media storm, according to a bulletin posted to their website:

Reporters may be filming our flight attendants going about their business in public areas, which is not an issue. There is also the possibility of reporters approaching flight attendants to ask questions about the TwinHill uniform.

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/04/alaska-airlines-flight-at_n_1478660.html

rwoman likes this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope I don't see a FA ripping his/her skin out, ask him/her if (s)he's ok, and hear "Our Corporate Communications Department handles all media inquiries and would be happy to assist you. Please call them at 206-392-5101 or after hours at 206-304-0008.”

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    How awful for them! Hope they get better uniforms (and relief) soon!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    $$$$$ >>>>> Well-being of customers/employees in the airline industry :rolleyes:

That is what de-regulation has done to us.

5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, maybe, maybe not - as far as this specific case goes. I'm sure the uniforms aren't any bargain.