Alaska Airlines F Class - SEA/SFO

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was my first trip on AS in 2011,and my first trip as an MVPG75K. You can imagine my anticipation given the momentous occasion. I did not fly to SEA on AS; rather, I flew on a competing carrier. Nonethless, the day arrived, and after my meeting was over, I got a ride to the airport, arriving there nearly 3 hours before my scheduled departure time. As I was using an upgrade coupon, I could not check in online, nor use a kiosk. I waited for an agent (about 5 minutes). There was no hallowed special hall nor line for the 75Kers. We wait with the lowly MVPGs. After 5 minutes of the torture, my check-in transaction lasted about a minute, she collected the coupon (which surprised me, but nonetheless, she was doing her job), and I was on my way through security.

My first stop was to the Alaska Bored Room. Given the nearly-noon hour, and that soup was about to be served, I had a snack and some wine, including today's clam chowder, which was bacony-good. I then had a second glass of wine, and left.

1marASBR.jpg

Given that soup wouldn't tide me over for hours, despite the anticipated F service on the flight, I went to Anthony's for Fish y Chips, which were quite tasty. I accompanied this with the Diet Coke I took from the lounge, and all was good. With a lot of time left to kill, I walked out to the CO Presidents' Club in the B gates, and had a drink. I forgot that one cannot legally pee in the room (as there are no loos) so I finished my drink in a somewhat rapid fashion, didn't turn the laptop on, and left to visit the room with the MEN sign on the wall. I then left the B gates.

My flight was leaving from N, so I figured, might as well go to the UA RCC, as it is "gate close." And so I did. There was time for a glass of wine, and some little snacks. It was an exciting visit, lasting about 25 minutes. This luxurious lounge has a Men's room.

1marUARCC.jpg

Finally, my flight was boarding, for an ontime departure to SFO. (This was the most exciting part of the day - an ontime departure!)

I got onboard to find that the pre-departure service consisted of a seatbelt extender and a packet of Equal. Was AS trying to tell me something before I boarded? Is there something in my new 75K profile that I am unaware of?

AS F seatbelt.jpg

...continued

flyingdawg and violist like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There are many reasons to fly AS in the F cabin, but the primary reason is the copious amount of legroom you get in Row 1, as clearly evidenced in the following picture:

1marASFlegroom.jpg

Finally, we were off, on time, and the lovely service started. The pleasant flight attendant brought out beverages with the first course of the meal service. I had the red wine with this course:

ASF1marsnack.jpg

The main course finally arrived, and what a bounty it was. I thought I could hear the hummus being blended in the galley, but maybe it was a woosh coming from the lav.

ASF1marsnack2.jpg

continued ...

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Several months ago, the good folks at Alaska Airlines replaced their utensils with some extremely cheap crap, which appeared temporary. They have now replaced it with something slightly nicer. Unfortunately, it also appears to be crap, on the crappyfork-o-meter, it rates just one point higher than the temporary crap.

ASF1marfork.jpg

Finally, it was time for the final course. For years on these "3 course, SFO/SEA meals", the third course was a piece of chocolate. They have replaced it with this:

ASF1mardessert.jpg

I was totally unsatisfied with the new dessert.

Nevertheless, one doesn't fully appreciate the bounty of the F cabin until one visits the F lav, which also contains a bounty of luxury product.

ASF1marsoap.jpg

And that was my first trip as an MVPG75K. Truly, once in a lifetime.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like one hell of a meal service... lol

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    What, no VX trip report? I hear their cutlery doesn't go all Uri Geller on you.

jackal likes this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There might be one, or maybe not, but I never want to detract from the opulent splendor of AS F in a trip report.

jackal and bakedpatato like this.
  7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never underestimate the understated hilarity of an Eastbay1k Bay Pisco Shark TR!

jackal likes this.
  8. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great TR :D

Since Jan 2011 I have flown in F on US, UA, CO, AS, DL, and AA... All I can say is that the candlelight is not so bright for AS right now...

9. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You arrived 3 hours before your flight and you managed to have drinks in 3 different lounges PLUS lunch at Anthonys? Wow...well done. I'm surprised you could even eat that three course meal!

10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You did see the new dessert platter, so that's why there was room :D

11. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    F is always better than Y.

12. kiwi
    Original Member