Alaska Airlines Boardroom in SEA/PDX/ANC now accessible to Admirals Club Members

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Received this in my inbox just awhile ago:

"Your Admirals Club® membership now extends your benefits beyond the network of 42 Admirals Club locations and 37 Qantas Club locations to include three more cities as part of a new arrangement with Alaska Airlines®. By showing your Admirals Club membership card along with a same day American Airlines boarding pass at entry, you now have access to Alaska Airlines Board Room locations in Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; and Anchorage, AK. Additionally, two guests or immediate family members traveling with you are welcome at no additional charge."

Please note: Access is only for locations at SEA, PDX, and ANC.

Great to see AA and AS working more closely together, but it should be noted that the wording here doesn't seem to include flights on AS metal, whether they carry a AS or AA flight number. Not sure how useful this is in that case.

Tenmoc likes this.
  2. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have any experience getting admitted under this rule when flying on AS metal/AA codeshare ex-SEA/PDX/ANC? (all purchased on aa.com)

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Reviving an old thread. Does anyone have experience using their Citi Executive card to get into Alaska Air Boardroom? That's now technically my Admirals Club membership card.

dc_traveler likes this.
  4. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    We tried a few weeks ago in SEA and they would not admit us with just the card. Luckily, we had received our priority pass number (both have a AMEX Platinum) but did not have it with us. They gave us the number to call to get the number and admitted us with that. Took us about 10 minutes. With PP, we would have paid for a guest if we did not both have numbers.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The specific card the OP asks about from Citi or the Amex PLT you reply about?

The OP notes that the Citi card is also his Admirals Club card, so I'd expect he's wanting access based on AA/AS lounge reciprocity there instead of via credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI: They did the same for my wife; I accidently brought two of my cards, so they looked it up with her number once she called and got it. However, dumbly, the night before I just paid for her entry on my card, they would have given us 10 minutes to call and get her number…

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup! AA has done a better job over the past year of making Citi Executive card holders feel like real Admirals Club members. I was a regular Admirals Club member for eons and switched to the card for the 10K EQMs on an annual basis. I don't fly AS that much, so it's not a big deal. But, it would be good to get the same benefits as an actual Admirals Club member since this is the way it was billed when they released the card.

cova likes this.
  8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've not personally done this as I'm not a card holder, but anecdotately I've seen folks state they have gained access to AS Boardrooms with the Citicard.

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I guess I'll add my own anecdotal data point in a couple weeks. :)

DestinationDavid likes this.
  10. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last month at SEA and ANC they asked to see my Admiral's Club card, my boarding pass for the current flight on AS, and the AA boarding pass from my previous flight.

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's a lot of info!

12. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Instead of a $400 credit card with club membership, is it better to get a AC membership at $300 + an AA credit card for $95 without the club membership which still gives the 10K EQMs? That way you have a real AC membership card.

I have not had any problems gettting into SEA AS club with my AC card and AA boarding pass. I don't think they need the AS boarding pass - only the same day AA boarding pass.

Also note that AS F reward tickets (even if issued from AA) get you in the AS club. Upgraded AS tickets do not.

13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Honestly, I wasn't aware such a scenario existed. The cheapest membership I see listed on the site is a $350 renewal for EXP, not $300. And, I don't see any other cards that offer EQMs other than the Exec card. Am I missing something?

14. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK - not EQM but 10K reward rebate. So no other card with 10K EQM. Yes the EXP rate has been raised to $350, but when you are ready to renew an AC membership - go to a club like LAX and renew there and they will give you a discount - around $25.

Does the 10K EQM require a spend amount? And what is cost of card?

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The Exec card costs $450 a year. You need to spend $40K on the card to get 10K EQMs.

Big difference between 10K EQMs and 10K reward rebate for me. On the outside chance my year stays as crazy with travel as it is now, I have a shot at 1K and EXP again. 10K less on AA and 5K less on UA with EQMs from one of their cards is 15K less I need to fly at the end of the year if I'm close (and more time at home with the family).

16. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds good. The cost of the card can save you two transcon mileage runs which easily cost $450 - so worth it for that. Factoring in the membership fee of ~ $350 - then the card is really only $100.

Although in my case - I find the UA miles are worth more (no BA to deal with those high fees) so my high charges go on the UA Pres Plus Card (with bonus EQM - but I don't need with LT 1K).

Although it doesn't look like the AA Exec card gives you the 10K mileage refund like the $95 AA Plat Select card.

Also I notice something new where the various AA cards now give either7500 or 5000 miles off travel in the USA to select destinations. And it doesn't imply that this is included in the 10,000 mileage rebate. And the AA Exec card is in this new program.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...citi_reduced_mileage.jsp#terms-and-conditions

17. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Correct. Different cards have different discounted destinations. A bit dizzying to keep track of. I haven't used one of those awards yet.

18. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on an AS/AA Codeshare from LAX to Seattle last week and they would not let me into the Borardroom for free. This makes no sense and i emailed Admirals customner service. I will just buy one of the credit cards that admits me to any club if this is how it will be. Sad for AA.

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What was the issue? That you feel like they should modify the agreement so you could gain entrance?

You weren't allowed access based on the rules that are in place (must be an AA marketed and operated flight, so no codeshares. Also only at SEA, PDX, and ANC), so hopefully you didn't write about that. :)

20. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I arrived on an Alaska flight/codeshare i was denied. I only had a few minutes and SEA has good wifi everywhere so a free beer didn't matter. But I bought the ticket through AA.com. Here is the response i received today which tells me nothing new. I sent a follow-up email to ask why:

Admirals Club Members (Annual and 30-Day) may access Alaska Airlines Boardrooms in Seattle, Portland and Anchorage when they display their Admirals Club Membership card or payment receipt at the lounge along with a boarding pass for a same-day American Airlines-marketed and operated flight.
    Similarly, Alaska Airlines Boardroom members may access the Admirals Clubs in Denver, Chicago and Austin when they present their membership card and a boarding pass for same-day travel on an Alaska Airlines-marketed and operated flight.

Kind regards,

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So you want to know why AS and AA have an agreement that limits access to the Boardroom for Admirals Club members when they fly on code shares? I doubt you're going to get a substinative answer from AA on that.

Can't hurt to complain if you'd like to see it expanded though. Personally I haven't been impacted by the rules and have always been able to access when I'm in SEA/ANC by booking AA metal. It can be a bit complex to remember at times though.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  22. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sent a letter because i have been EXP for three years now and Admirals Club the whole time. It seems redicilous sicn ei was on an AA codeshare flight.

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, it would be great if AA and AS reached a new agreement that lifted some of the codeshare/metal requirements for access. I'd welcome that.

I don't understand being upset at denied access when the requirements are published though.

There are likely more constructive ways to give AA feedback on your desire for them to modify the existing agreement than complaining about being denied access at the SEA boardroom when the rules clearly state you don't have access. If you keep bringing up that point AA is likely just going to keep emailing you back the rules that show you why you were denied. Drop the trip information and write them a letter explaining why you'd like them to speak with AS and reach a new deal that drops the limitations on access at the three approved AS Boardroom locations.

flyforawg likes this.
  24. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a one trip a year probblem so not worth it, dude.

25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well you've made 4 posts complaining about it here and apparently 2 emails to AA regarding the issue, so I think we're a little past "not worth it, dude", IMHO. ;) :)

John777 and Mike Reed like this.