Alaska Air Mileage Plan vs AA and DL

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by adrianors, Nov 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I just got a status match with Alaska air and got MVP Status.. I generally travel overseas a couple times a year and some domestic flights which generally grant me a silver status in one of the airline companies.. I know that as soon as I finish my PhD I will travel more often for business but right now thats all I can get. So, my question is, I have Premier Silver UA, Silver Medallion DL and MVP with Alaska, for next year I would like to know what you guys think would be the best to try to keep or invest to maybe go Gold. I know that UA and DL are in Star Alliance and Sky Team, respectively, but for flying in US it seems like Alaska offers more opportunities for upgrade in different airlines (which could be a plus for me..) I don't know, any help? Ideas? I also know that Delta is terrible to get flight awards and UA is awesome (even with the new rules) if I want to get one in Economy. How is Alaska for that? By the way, I will be flying mostly with partners, not Alaska, since I live in Charlotte, NC! Hope you guys can help me to make the right decision!

dgreen12 and tondoleo like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly AA and haven't used award tickets yet (I admit I am a hoarder), but I do get upgraded a lot for being a gold member. That being said, it also depends on if your home airport is a high-traffic area (mine is not). Hopefully some of our more experienced members with your other airlines can be of help.

Welcome to MP. :)

adrianors and tondoleo like this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the US-AA merger goes through, you will live in an AA hub city.

You are generally better off concentrating status and mileage in ONE program rather than having small piles of miles/low level status in multiple programs, unless your travel is significant enough that high-level status is possible in multiple programs. AS is advantageous if you want to have the ability to choose between AS, DL and AA for domestic/international travel. It is a problem for international travel if you consider complimentary lounge access in coach an important benefit (you would get it with Gold on DL, Platinum on AA), or if you want a better chance at domestic upgrades on DL/AA (you get no upgrades on AA with AS status, and you are behind DL Silver on DL).

adrianors likes this.
  4. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also note that Alaska has different qualifiers for status when flying on partner airlines... you need 20k miles on AS/QX alone, 25k on partners to make MVP. This isn't more than other airlines but they do make it easier for people who are entirely loyal to AS. Living on the West Coast if there was an airline I'd leave AA for it would definitely be AS. I may despise the 737 but they definitely run a good airline as far as OTP, maintenance, service, etc. I would echo the words of eponymous_coward in that you're better off sticking with one airline's status program... and that AS status matches are supposed to be a one-time thing so choose wisely.

adrianors likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note that UA and DL will require minimum spend even if you fly billions of miles for status in the future. Neither AA nor AS do that to date. AS seems "ok" for partner redemption (except for DL). Note that you can't mix/match partners in any single direction on a reservation (except for AS to get you to a gateway city), but with most partners allowing OW awards, at least you can mix carriers on the ticket now, so if AA is available OW and DL the other, you can book it.

adrianors and Golfingboy like this.