Alamo - LIAR LIAR

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by YOURGLOCKMAN, Jun 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. YOURGLOCKMAN

YOURGLOCKMAN Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be extremely careful when renting a car from Alamo. I used Hotwire to reserve a 4 day rental. After paying with my Amex Surpass card, the car rental company turned out to be Alamo. No problems so far.
    When I went to pick up the car, the old hard core insurance sales pitch began. I told the representative I was using a card which provided coverage in addition to my personal auto coverage. I was then told a LIE. He said "...since you rented the car from a third party and not directly through the Alamo website, your card does not cover third party rentals..."
    Still declining all insurance, I called Amex and was told indeed, I am covered through third party rentals.
    ALAMO - LIAR LIAR.
    BEWARE OF USING ALAMO, THEY WILL LIE TO MAKE AMFEW EXTRA BUCKS.
    And by the way Alamo, if you are reading this, the Complaint Reference # 15129499
    STOP LYING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS !!!

2. Fyaric

Fyaric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why Alamo it was a single employee (the problem is they get percentage so they lie to get their bonus!)
    What was his name he should get a warning and the next time this happens he should get sacked!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    He should be dismissed. Very bad business to lie to customers, especially in the current days of social media as word will travel fast.
    I understand the guy wants to make a buck, but no one should be sold something they do not need.
    Offer the coverage and once declined move on.

Counsellor likes this.
  4. Fyaric

Fyaric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree but let's give the benefit of the doubt that he was taught that. (i know realistically it not true but...)

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    EXACTLY !

I rent a lot of cars & have had the hard insurance pitch/lies from every rental company at one time or another, it is not an Alamo, nor any other car rental company system wide issue, it is the case of a single employee trying to make a few extra bucks in a deceitful manner.

miles and smiles, Fyaric and viguera like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dread the insurance pitch when I can't avoid the counter... and I try to be nice because I know it's a sales pitch based on commission. Do you want this, do you want that, etc. I generally try to kill the whole thing off early on and show them that I don't want anything extra without being rude, but that's hard sometimes. :)

Sweet Willie and Fyaric like this.
  7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And what is really funny is when you are renting through your company (i.e. used their rental code or whatever.) They're giving you this pitch while looking at the screen seeing that Mega-Bucks, Inc. is actually the one paying for the rental. Mega-Bucks, Inc. probably has more and better capital and coverage that anything that could be offered!

2soonold, Fyaric and viguera like this.
  8. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a rule, I don't trust used car salesmen.... so I don't trust used car "rental"men either.