Alamo, Enterprise or what

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by 2soonold, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I rented an economy through Alamo on a weekend rate with a Friday nite pick up @ ATL. When I arrived, I went right out to snatch some keys. There were no cars in Economy or Compact. Midsize had 3 unappealing cars. So I went back in to the counter; interested to see what might happen. The guy at the desk handed me my contract, and told me the "greeter" would find me a car.
    Back at the lot, the "greeter" directed me to chose between a dogged out Cobalt and a red Aveo. I always look the car over very, very carefully for damage. While I was looking over the Aveo, a guy put his bag in the Cobalt and took off. Lucky break for me because the next car to roll out was a suitable Accent. The Accent was pretty new, but it was strickly a base model.(can we say Enterprise?)
    All in all, the experience reminded me of the old Alamo/National lot. If nothing was available you were expected to stand there and wait(in the weather). It did remind me,however, that sometimes with Alamo, it does pay to just stand there and wait.;)

2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have this game I like to play at the LAX Alamo called "Find the Jetta". Usually there's a Jetta in the midsize section... or a driver will bring one down shortly. I usually win this game, like this weekend- $64 for a 3 day midsize rental (with coupons), and a nice ride.

3. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's cool. Since I'm almost never a hard-charging business renter, I've usually got the time to try to play a game, too. Sometimes it works for me, but sometimes it doesn't. This weekend I had a Saturday night pickup with National @ ATL. I wasn't sure how many folks I would be carrying, so I went for the an Emerald Aisle reservation. National @ ATL has a smaller Emerald Aisle selection over the weekends:(. The only thing that might have passed turned out to have a paper temporary tag on it. So to National's surprise, I asked to see the mid-sized car selection. There I found a very attractive new Elantra:). So I took the Elantra for my Easter festivities. The car drew compliments and I enjoyed the ride @ $43 for the day; even though I calculated the around town milage to be about 25 mpg.