AJC: New airport terminal sets stage for future travel

Discussion in 'ATL | Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport' started by rwoman, Apr 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    AJC: New airport terminal sets stage for future travel

I know we've discussed the forthcoming Terminal F numerous times...

This article provides some discussion on costs and anticipated passenger numbers... Not surprisingly, passenger numbers will likely not meet the goals set in the 1990's; that said 101 million pax is still a lot of people!

I'm looking forward to a direct exit after international fights into ATL!

:)

uggboy and flyingdawg like this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just wish they had a better solution for getting to the MARTA station. A shuttle bus is a bit of a pain, IMO.

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    No kidding! Kind of crazy they did not work that in!!

uggboy and autolycus like this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cleanest solution for passengers would probably be the extension of the SkyTrain to add another stop at the Int'l Terminal. That would allow passengers to easily get between the two terminals outside of security and would allow for international passengers to hop on just a single train all the way to the convention center and rental car facility. The big problem, of course, is that they'd have to either build a very high rail overpass so the train went OVER the taxi-ways/gate areas, or they'd have to dig a new tunnel.

flyingdawg and rwoman like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not want to even think HOW LONG it would take to work all that out given the history of ATL and contracts... ;)

uggboy likes this.
  6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup! And I'm guessing THAT's why they'll be using buses for the foreseable future. I think their currently scheduled development/construction projects are mostly wrapping up with the Int'l Terminal/Concourse F opening in May. It's been a pretty good run of projects, honestly, with the shared rental car facility + SkyTrain, the fifth runway, and the Int'l Terminal and all that goes with that (extension of people mover, extra parking decks, etc.).

It'll be time for them to start planning the next wave. I assume the "Southern Domestic Terminal" or whatever it'll be called will be one of the potential hot big projects. Perhaps extension of SkyTrain or a different solution for getting ATL-bound passengers from the Int'l Terminal to Ground Transport will be part of that wave. They'll need a way to connect that terminal to the rental car and ground transportation areas.

I'm honestly not sure what else they could be shooting for? A major reno of one of the current concourses? I haven't been through all of them lately (been years since I've stepped foot in at least one or two of them). Are any in need of a major renovation, aside from the general tunnel-like feeling that a few of them have, it seems like they're all in pretty good shape, no?

uggboy, flyingdawg and rwoman like this.
  7. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    ATL's international terminal will be getting a Brooks Brothers and Pandora Jewelry retail locations in the near future.

Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.