Airports where United ops are split across/between terminals?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PhlyingRPh, Mar 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are there any airports where operations are still split by virtue of the fact that CO and UA used to operate from separate parts of a single terminal, or where their infrastructure was located in separate terminals? Also interested in documenting instances where CO or UA subsidary gates are still separated along a concourse or where they are in separate concourses.

Mr. Silver Springer likes this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    DCA, for now, has flights in separate concourses, which aren't accessible from the same TSA checkpoints. The ticket counters have been consolidated, though.

3. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few off hand... going from memory, feel free to correct (plus additions from other posters below)

BOS - sCO in A, sUA in C, no airside connection, UC (2) in A and C
    SEA - Generally sCO in B, sUA in North Satellite, connected airside, ticket counters consolidated, UC (2) in B and N
    LHR - sCO in T4, sUA in T1, train transfers available
    EWR - sCO departures in A2/C, sUA departures in A1, airside bus available, UC (4) in C-1/C-3/A-1/A-2
    LGA - sCO in A, sUA in C, no airside connection, UC (2) outside security near A and C
    SAN - sCO in T2, sUA in T1, some UAX at Commuter terminal, no airside connection, UC in T1
    DCA - sCO in low-B area, sUA in B23-34 area, no airside connection, ticket counters consolidated, UC (2) in both areas
    ATL - sCO in D, sUA in T, connected airside, ticket counters consolidated, UC in D
    CMH - sCO in A, sUA in B, no airside connection, ticket counters consolidated
    MSY - sCO in D, sUA in C, no airside connection, ticket counters consolidated
    DAY- sCO in C, sUA in B, connected airside, ticket counters consolidated

SAT - sCO in B, sUA in A, no airside connection, ticket counters consolidated, UC in B
    LAX - sCO in T6, sUA in T6/7/8, airside connection, ticket counters consolidated, UC (2) in T6/T7

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quite a few sCO arrivals and departures are occurring at the North Satellite. This seems most frequent if the flight is continuing to ANC or ORD, or is RON. But I've seen IAH & EWR departures from N gates also, especially red-eye. Definitely check before heading to the gate area, as it is along hike between the B concourse and N satellite, and the train system isn't very efficient for making that connection.

I have not seen any sUA flights operate from B.

I wonder if UA pays a flat monthly lease rate for the N gates and a per-departure fee for use of the B gates, hence they are trying to use the N gates as much as possible and minimize use of B gates. Or maybe they have given up a couple of B gates figuring that they could operate some sCO flights from N.

The good news is that they extended the hours of the N UC (former RCC).

There is no news of a date when UA will move to the A gates and my sense is any move is still a year or more away

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    More on SEA

The April schedule shows a lot more cross-fleeting with sCO aircraft operating SEA-SFO and SEA-IAD and in some cases sUA 752's operating SEA-IAH, so I don't know what rule of thumb they will be using to assign flights - whether all sUA aircraft will operate from N gates, and most sCO aircraft will operate from B gates, or if they will try to segregate by destination, with IAH & EWR departures primarily from B, and others from N.

6. JetAway

JetAway Silver Member

Status Points:
    SAT-legacy UA in Terminal A; "New" UA in Terminal B along with the United Club.

Mr. Silver Springer likes this.
  7. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been back to LAX since the March 3, what happened to the T6 and T7 situation?. IMHO, there is probably room to move all sCO to T6 or T7. Not sure about the United club, frankly, there needs to be another one.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAX is still running operations out of the three piers, just like before. I doubt that will draw down anytime soon.

9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there is any plan to change that and I don't consider it split across terminals. All three piers are connected airside, and the 6 and 7 piers are connected to the FIS facility for international arrivals. pmUA used to use all three piers just by itself, especially before it started to shrink. But even after shrinking it used some pier 6 gates during peak times.

AS is moving into pier 6 fairly soon, but they are moving into space vacated by other airlines.

10. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget IAH.
    With all the overcrowded check-in and security issues IAH suffered this weekend (Storms, Obama, Spring Break, more storms, and me doing rookie mistakes... getting my gates mixed up... and failing to check my ticket after purchase), people forget that they can check in at A or B rather than weather the long lines at C and E. Yesterday the C line looked to be about 45 minutes to get through the TSA theatre... rookie families traveling under mom or dad's elite status. A simple underground train to B and no line at all solved the issue.
    Sometimes multiple check-in areas are bueno.

bmg42000 and EWR764 like this.
  11. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but I think the point of this thread is to focus on non-hub airports like DCA and BOS where the operations are split between different terminals that aren't connected behind security. IAH, EWR, CLE, ORD, and LAX all fall into the hub with flights departing multiple terminals, but all are connected somehow behind security category.

12. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's also worth noting that most of the gates in T7/8 are now striped for various sCO aircraft (735/7/8/9, 757-3, 767-4) so it's only a matter of time before the LAX operation becomes more homogenized.

13. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just realized i'm on a MR through SAN with 90 min connection. Hopefully that's enough time to switch terminals. Inbond is 737 so CO and outbound is A319 so UA.

Won't have time to opt-out at TSA :(

14. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If everything is on time y;)u will.

Golfingboy and CDKing like this.
  15. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    90 minutes is more than enough. Even if you're delayed a little bit, you should still be fine.

Golfingboy likes this.
  16. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should be fine. Just walk it, don't take the bus. Bus will be longer.

Golfingboy likes this.
  17. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAX will continue to operate out of three terminals and I expect to see utilization in T6 increase now that UA can use the PMCO gates and provide more efficient connections to international flights departing out of T6.

In PIT, the ticket counters and the gates are still separate. Everything has been rebranded.

Ticket Counters: Directly across from each other. Pretty weird seeing two "UNITED" ticket counters on both sides and it can be quite confusing for many travelers. If the check-in kiosk machines were the same, I'd be lost too.

Gates: sUA still uses concourse C and sCO uses concourse D and both are in the same sterile area.

18. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Presumably you can check in at either one?

T6 was the CO terminal for years. Built by CO I believe, back when their headquarters was in LA. Not sure who owns it now.

19. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    At SEA, here is what I heard: they are trying to operate as many flights as possible from the N gates, and only use the B gates during peak or IRROPs times. UA leases all the N gates but only 2 gates in B. They also have access to additional B gates on a common use basis (pay per departure). If SFO has weather delays, they will try to cluster SFO flights at B gates.

That's all consistent with my experience today when a pmCO flight from IAH arrived at N15 and turned for an EWR departures.

I imagine it will get more interesting this summer when the schedule increases.

Move to the A councourse "sometime in 2013"

20. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I remember correctly, the original part of Terminal 6, out in the rotunda area, was never owned by CO, but the airport authority. CO built the section linking the terminal counter area to the rotunda and owned it.

21. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, it was great aiding United's consolidation at DCA. ;)

ssullivan likes this.
  22. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
  23. Billiken
    Original Member

Billiken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are gate operations still "split" at MKE????

24. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I don't see enough gates in either for consolidation, I hope they move to e gates as you don't need to opt out! Also the 5 times I've flown, there was 5 or less at security.