"Airports" thread: hopefully link-able & wiki-able

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by jar070, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jar070

jar070 Active Member

Status Points:
    Can we please have an "Airports" thread?

There's lots of info and insight that seems to get duplicated: I bet lots of info on JFK that may be valuable for all, for example, risks getting duplicated across DL, AA, and B6-related posts. This would be measurably helpful for newbies: you won't have to know which airlines thread to hunt down, or who has a hub where, all you need to know is the city.

I wonder if some sort of hybrid forum-wiki is possible: a lot of airport info on terminals, lounges, and transport options is relatively static and shouldn't be exclusively forum-based where wheels keep getting reinvented. Is it possible to have a wiki-like page with a forum below it?

And, it would be nice to have airline threads linked to their hub airports pages: that would better direct airport insight into a place where the broader community will find it.

BondAir007 and weinskkb like this.
  2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    joesmoe likes this.
  3. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 I would like to see a 'Airport' forum. The question where to have it.

This something I have been thinking about. This would be great.

joesmoe likes this.
  4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If an Airports forum is established, I'd like to see Lounge Reviews by airport. My dream would be a master list of what lounges are located at what airports.

gemac likes this.
  5. flunky
    Original Member

flunky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember when FT had an Airport forum, but the problem was it wasn't used much. If their was a way to direct people to the Airport forums instead of asking questions on the airline sites would help it succeed.

6. jar070

jar070 Active Member

Status Points:
    Great to see that there are others on board for this concept. Randy, I took a spin around Local Point/airports. It's well on the way: I would suggest Local Point be more prominent, even at the level of Miles/Points, Travel/Dining, and Community, because it is engaging for both newbies and frequent posters. Newbies think more in terms of an airport or area rather than which carriers fly there. And frequent posters appreciate doing a little less hunting for airport-specific insight. Airport questions are ultimately not really about Miles nor Points.

Here's how I see content being organized:

The airline/booking/flying: Miles/Points
    The airport & connecting w other members: Local Point (Meetups would fit really well here)
    The destination: Travel/Dining
    The milepoint.com site: Community Hall

I see Local Point, and threaded Airport related info within as different than Community. The Community section, other than Local Point and Meetups, seems more about the milespoint.com site itself. Hence the suggestion that Meetups be placed with Local Point. Community might be more accurately described as Community Hall. It's more of a Town Hall in the scheme of milespoint.com...

Flunky, I hope there is a way to embed content like hub airports and airline contact info at the top or on the side of each Airline/Program's forum: it makes too much sense to not do, and seems not to be rocket science technology-wise, to make this happen.

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about airport specific threads in local point such as:
    Airport food / concession
    Airport hotels / lodging
    Airport lounges

BondAir007 likes this.
  8. BondAir007
    Original Member

BondAir007 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There should be 'sub-listed' within Airport forum. List major airports or list base on the regions as few people mention.

It could be about the 'Airport operation' within. As to Airline XYZ have move to new gates, Airline lounge is closed for remodeling, ABC Foods is being replace by MNO Foods, Airport DTW Tram is shutdown for a month. Checkpoint #1, #3 have the new machines, whereas checkpoint #2 is closed. Little details help knowing when I get to a airport or leaving airport.

Even official airport website might be good and part of the stickies, where I can click it.

I am sure there are other things.