Airports scramble to keep passengers plugged in

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Jun 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.mydesert.com/article/201...gged-in?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

Ken Tichacek has become expert at finding places to recharge his laptop and iPhone at airports.
    He's commandeered a check-in counter at an empty gate. He's unplugged a water cooler and perched next to it. He's seized an electric outlet in the middle of a boarding lane for another flight.

“I held my ground as passengers stepped over me to board,” says the Salisbury, Vt., road warrior and management consultant.

Such fervor is common among frequent business travelers, who twitch when they can't tap on their tablets or smartphones because batteries are drained. Walk through any terminal, and you'll see people plugging electronic devices into any outlet they can find, even if it's behind a bar or in a bathroom.
    Airports and some airlines understand the needs of today's digital travelers and increasingly are making electrical outlets more available.

Read More: http://www.mydesert.com/article/201...gged-in?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  2. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's always a good idea to put a triple plug thingie in your computer bag. If all the available outlets are in use, this "creates" a free one just for you.

Fortunately, tablets and the newer laptops will run on batteries a lot longer than older laptops. Eight to 10 hours of run time isn't unusual these days.

3. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    sobore likes this.
  4. jkchan83

jkchan83 Silver Member

Status Points:
    sobore likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member