Airports installing fingerprint scanners (apart from US) !

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by anileze, Mar 19, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either I was not paying attention, or maybe it is some beta test/pilot; But I noticed while crossing from concourse B on to Concourse D in Amsterdam that each of the booths had a fingerprint scanner. Is this something new ?

How many other airports (non US) have your crossed that have these biometric scanners ? I know of Honduras and I had once had a long horrendous experience at GIG in early 2004. Any more ?

Newscience likes this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    HKG uses fingerprint scanners for fast-paced immigration clearance in the eChannel. It's a great system.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  3. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    many countries use them in Africa, they are quite common they had them in both Angola and Gambia

many of the African scanners are for all fingers where for HK and Dubai they are for a single finger

I think many of these countries are getting assistance from various NGOs and aid programs to buy machines, often to target sex tourists, smugglers, terrorists and people blatantly over-staying their visas :eek:

several countries are using iris scanners as well, such as Qatar

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    They showed up in Cambodia some 3 years ago around the time there was a big clamor/concern that terrorists were infiltrating the Cham minority.. At the time agents indicated they were purchased by the US.