Airport transit hotel Changi Int'l Airport

Discussion in 'Airports' started by sfo1, Jan 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I am reading this right from the airport guide, a person can arrive and use this hotel for overnight, and then go through immigration and customs the next day, one does not have to be transiting the airport to another flight?

2. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done that several times.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the answer,it seems a little more civilized just to hit the bed when arriving just after midnight then to try and go through customs, transit downtown to hotel etc. Better to do it the next day when one feels a little rested.

gaijin62 likes this.
  4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, if we have a 0550 departure from SIN, we can use this hotel? Would there be any reason to stay here rather than the Crowne Plaza?

sfo1 likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    NO if you're departing to the USA, whether nonstop or not, with a USA carrier.

Yes generally if you're departing on SQ as they allow you to check in and go airside up to 48 hours before your flight.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it can be very difficult if you have checked bags.

sfo1 likes this.
  7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that it takes long to get landside at SIN, or to get to your hotel.

8. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took a look at the prices at the CP, I would have to rob a bank to stay there. I find American chains charge way more than most hotels when travelling internationally, guess they are after those who are insecure about staying in any hotel which is not American and of course they cater to the US businessman.

9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have only a carry-on.

10. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    We thought the chain prices in SIN were breathtaking, as well, but did manage to secure a reservation at the CP using 40,000 points earned several years ago from their Crack the Case promo.
    But, we'd rather stay airside if in fact we can arrive after several days in Singapore, check in with NH (including, possibly, checked bags) the night before, and bed down at the transit hotel. Am I understanding correctly that this will be possible?

11. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From a previous poster above, I think it has to do with when your airline will let you check-in. With US carriers it can't be done. Apparently you can with SQ. Guess you need to check with NH and see how far in advance their check-opens.

12. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't understand the response that it would be difficult if you had checked baggage. I often arrive at midnight stay in the airport until 8 or so in the morning and then claim my bag. Just go to the Lost and Found office and often the luggage is simply sitting outside. If it isn't go in and give them your luggage tag they will retrieve your bag within 5 to 10 minutes.

13. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a response to Jenny & Curt who is/are departing from SIN (compared with the OP arriving at SIN). In order to get airside you first have to be checked in the night before (or even earlier), which many airlines do not permit at all (or only allow if there is no checked bags because airlines have limited storage facilities).

14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    ah, but the response was to someone who asked about staying at the airport after arrival
    (sfo1) not the op so it didn't make sense to me.
    granted it is different to use transit hotel when you are leaving than arriving

15. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    right you are, my mistake

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I responded about using the transit hotel upon arrival with checked luggage. I wouldn't like the idea of my bags sitting around for a long time, even at SIN, or being sent to lost and found. Maybe more importantly, your carrier's baggage claim office is likely to be closed the next morning if there is a problem with a lost or damaged bag.

17. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Book earlier than I tried to. I sent booking request on 6 Jan for 23 Jan and all rooms were full between 0700 and 1800. I'm on a wait list.