Airport switch on South America flights

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by John Woram, Jan 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's an interesting (to say the least) problem going on at the tripadvisor.com Galápagos forum. Seems a passenger bought an AA international round trip to Quito or Guayaquil, with a continuing rt on LAN (in the One World group) out to Isla San Cristóbal. Now, AA has announced that his return flight back to the mainland will depart from Isla Baltra, some 50 miles from San Cristóbal, with nothing but ocean separating them. How he gets from one island to another is, apparently, his problem. So, seems to me that AA should give him what he paid for, by booking him on one of the daily flights back to the mainland on TAME or Aerogal. Neither are in the One World group, but that's not his problem.

Any comments?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did he buy the ticket from AA all the way through?

AA does not fly to SYE the flight ( which is most likely a codeshare) is operated by LAN Ecuador. It does not operate daily and the only other airline that I am aware
    of that flies there beside LAN is Avianca (daily)

Sounds as if the LAN flight having been cancelled he will have to get to the other island or wait until there is availability ( perhaps the Avianca flight is full because of the Lan cancellation.

BTW TAM and LAN have now merged and AIS does not show TAM flying that route.

3. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, he booked the whole works via AA. The island flights were to/from SCY -- San Cristóbal, Galápagos. Anyway, the ONLY airlines that do regular daily flights between SCY and the mainland are TAME and Aerogal. As far as I know, there are NO flights via Avianca. I think the problem is that LAN flights are irregular -- ie, on again/off again, and that may account for the apparent cancellation of the flight that he paid for. But that doesn't account for stranding him on one island and telling him his return flight would be from another island. One alternative: cut his vacation a day short, grab a ferry to the other island (2 hours), spend the night there, then take a combo bus/ferry/bus to the other airport. The other alternative is for AA to book him on one of those daily non-One World flights back to the mainland. To me, I think AA should do the right thing; get him back to the mainland with a minimum of grief (and then maybe re-thinking their policy of booking such impossible itineraries in the future).

4. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, just wow. Kooky...

5. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    To be fair, this itinerary was not impossible when it was booked, provided the information supplied by the OP on the Tripadvisor forum is correct. AA has absolutely no say in what other airlines have for a schedule, so by that logic they shouldn't allow codeshares at all on the grounds that other airlines may modify or cancel their routes at any time. Even in AA's contract of carriage it says they make no commitment to operate according to any specific schedule:

"American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing."

Now, with that being said there's no reason they shouldn't make a reasonable change to the ticketed itinerary to accommodate the schedule change. I have seen other posts on this forum about schedule changes where AA has completely refunded a non-refundable ticket because the schedule changed by 4-6 hours and that was a change that made the flight unworkable for the passenger, so hopefully the same will be true here. I'll be curious to see if the OP from TripAdvisor returns with an update once he contacts AA.

6. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    True enough, and of course they have no control over whatever another carrier does with its schedule. But to re-book a passenger to another airport that requires a combo ferry/bus/ferry/bus, plus an overnight stay at a different island is a bit much I think, especially when there's daily service back to the mainland from the same airport from which the passenger was originally ticketed. Anyway, I'll post something here when/if he updates the situation after contacting AA.

7. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    JW, this is just the Spanish way, yes? (I do not have a shocked look on my face, FYI)

8. John Woram

John Woram Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope -- more like an AA agent who knows there are two airports in Galápagos, but is clueless about getting from one to the other.

9. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Raise your hand if you've spoken to an AA agent who has never left the US?
    (Both my hands are raised and i could raise all limbs and 30% of my moustache hair to answer this one.)