Airport security checks to be eased (Australia)

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Chimpy, Nov 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just noticed this story in the newspaper today.

Airport security checks to be eased in a bid to reduce waiting times

PASSENGERS will no longer have their duty-free booze confiscated or be burdened with emptying bags at check points under a radical overhaul of airport security.

The shake-up to be announced by the Federal Government today promises to cut down on waiting times for international travel by easing bottlenecks at security gates.

The transition will start next year, with new explosive detection equipment to be rolled out across Australia's international airports by 2013.

In what will be the biggest change for international air travel in years, passengers will be freed from having to put liquids of less than 100ml in clear plastic bags for screening.

It also means duty-free shoppers, who are constantly having their alcohol and perfume seized, will soon be able to take on board the largest bottles they can afford.

Federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said Australia could make travel easier for passengers after successful trials of the explosive technology.

The rest of the article can be found here:
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/airport-checks-to-be-eased/story-e6freon6-1226200146590

mht_flyer, ossipago, uggboy and 9 others like this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:

uggboy, MissBurrill and Chimpy like this.
  3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great move forward for AUS. Now if other countries would follow suit we would have a step forward back to civilized travel.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

mht_flyer, uggboy and goalie like this.
  4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sanity returning. Well done Aussies. :)

5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed and finally someone is not playing "follow Darth Vader the TSA" and taking steps to be proactive!

6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I think the EU has also started to walk on their own two feet of late in that regard.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  7. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard about this on the radio the other day, sounds good, but I’d imagine it’s going to take a while to return to normalcy. Wonder how long before another security scare just pushes the restrictions back though :(

Chimpy likes this.
  8. really its great

Chimpy likes this.