Airport hotel in Singapore

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by pnoeric, Jul 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, can anyone recommend a good airport hotel for a one-night stay in Singapore? Boyfriend John and I are coming into SIN from Vietnam around 5pm and turning around early the next morning to fly out, so we just need somewhere decent to stay. Ideally, there would be some good food either in the hotel or nearby... a hot tub wouldn't hurt though I realize probably I'm asking a lot. ;-) We have status with Hyatt, Hilton and Starwood if it makes any difference. (I do see the Crowne Plaza Changi but at US$285 night, that's out of our budget for this brief stay.)

THANKS--
    E

uggboy likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are hotels IN the airport that charge around $60 US in 6 hour blocks. One of them has a pool (can't remember which terminal it is in 2?). SIN is a great airport with lots of good food options - you could see a couple of free movies (in really comfy chairs), walk through the butterfly garden, browse the myriad shops, have a nice dinner, then check into the in airport hotel.

sobore, pnoeric and uggboy like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Too bad the price is so high, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Changi last year and was really pleased with my room, the service, and my stay in general. I generally choose Starwood and Hyatt properties, but it was still one of my favorite airport hotels (the others being the Intercontinental ORD and Westin LAX).

Great location for catching an early AM flight out of SIN as well.

[​IMG]

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    How early is your flight? Singapore is quite close to the airport and you might be able to check luggage through or even check in for your flights upon arrival at the airport. It would help to know airlines and departure time. Are you flying directly to the USA from SIN?

The airport transit hotels are airside, which means that you can't go elsewhere for dinner, etc. in general. Depending on how long you stay, they can be cheap or not such a good deal.

The airport has a pool, which closes late at night. You pay an admission fee. It's in T1, I believe, but possibly T2 and certainly not T3. AFAIK it's not part of any of the transit hotels but it's operated by the same company as are some of the contract and daily fee lounges at the airport.

5. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too am a big fan of the Crowne Plaza. I even like the Kopi food court in the sub-basement of Terminal 3 - hawker-style food in aircon comfort just steps (below) from a great hotel.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Part of the problem is that SIN doesn't really have any other airport hotels. Changi Village isn't so close and doesn't offer much, nor are the few hotels along the coast very good. Without much competition, the Crowne Plaza can charge high rates. It's very nice and seems to have good service, but the prices on most days seem high for what it is and compared to hotel rates downtown most of the time. Besides, it's much more interesting to be downtown if you have enough time to do something other than eat and sleep although it can also be fun to have lots of time to explore airside at SIN.

pnoeric, sobore and uggboy like this.
  7. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having taken advantage of the chance to book SQ award tix, I will soon be heading to Changi for my first-ever experience. I arrive around 1am (SQ First) and departing at 9:30am (SQ Business)...sounds like the Ambassador Transit Hotel will be my best bet, unless somehow SQ will take care of me as a deplaning first class passenger. Thoughts from any experienced SQ/SIN travelers would be appreciated...

pnoeric and uggboy like this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SQ lounge is open 24 hours and if you don't mind sleepiing on a couch the business lounge often has people sleeping in the back. Free food, drinks too.

pnoeric, uggboy and FlyingFree like this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    The pool used to be park of the transit hotel and I believe you could use it after you checked out if you used the hotel - but that could have changed or my memory might be bad.
    If you have your onward boarding pass you CAN leave, eat at one of the MANY food outlets right in the airport (although there are lots in the transit area as I mentioned) or take transit downtown, eat, walk around and go back to the airport, go through immigration and check in for 6 hours at the transit hotel (with a prior booking). There are also areas for sleeping with comfortable reclining chairs, etc for free.

10. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have a favorite SQ lounge at Changi? Which one(s) would you recommend?

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not if you're on a USA carrier. Once you go land side, you must wait until their checkin counter opens for your flight in order to answer some security questions before they will let you through passport control. At last year's SIN DO, a UA representative told us that this was imposed on them by TSA. However, if you're flying on a "foreign" carrier such as SQ, this step is not required. In fact, on SQ you can check in 48 hours in advance (including checking luggage) and go airside then, even originating in Singapore.

uggboy likes this.
  12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    TPR in T3 obviously, but to get in, you're supposed to be departing in SQ in IFC.

uggboy and FlyingFree like this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is probably handled by the fact that you can't get a boarding pass on UA (or I suspect any US carrier) until the checkin desk opens.

uggboy likes this.
  14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're flying SQ first the next day the first class lounge in T2 has individual sleeping rooms (with angled not flat reclined chairs - I take the mat off and put it on the floor).
    TPR and first class lounge in T3 both close around 1 am so you have to go to the business lounge (connected) but that's good b/c that is where you can find couches where you can lie flat in the back. At 5 or 6 am you could go back to the first side if you wish.

uggboy and FlyingFree like this.
  15. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    We get into SIN (Vietnam Airlines) at 7:25pm, depart for MLE (on SQ) the next morning at 9:45am. So it's not terribly tight, but it doesn't seem like time to do much besides get a late meal and hit the sack. I assume we'll want to be at the airport no later than 8 (or 7:30?) for the MLE flight, and I like my beauty sleep ;-)

I LOVE the idea of going for a swim at the airport in the evening!!

Is it difficult to get between the airport and downtown? (Is there mass transit, or an easy bus? Or cheap taxi?) If so, then I guess we could just stay downtown and find somewhere affordable. Otherwise, it sounds like my best options are:
    - suck it up and pay $285 for Crown Plaza, or...
    - kill some time eating, exploring etc and then see about one of the 6-hour places, maybe followed by another hour or two snoozing in a lounge on a sofa/recliner

Would you agree?

uggboy likes this.
  16. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting into the city is pretty easy: the SBS 36 bus goes from the
    basement of all the numbered terminals to lots of good places
    in the city. The MRT (rail) is quicker and offers even more options.
    Both of these cost a couple bucks and run about 6a to 10p (MRT has
    slightly longer hours and cost a little more).

A taxi, if you want to splurge, runs $20-25 each way or so, more
    after midnight. I recommend Steve Pells's site for quick
    research on transit in unfamiliar areas.

uggboy and pnoeric like this.
  17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. I arrive around 1 AM and don't really want to drive into the city that night and pay $200-300 for a standard room. If I can get a few hours' sleep at the airport and drop off my luggage at the main hotel in the morning before a day of sightseeing, that's far better.

pnoeric likes this.
  18. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Sounds like I could easily stay in Singapore proper (downtown) and have no problem to/from the airport the night before or the morning of the flight.

uggboy likes this.
  19. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pool is at T1

uggboy and pnoeric like this.

20. Crown Plaza Changi Airport hotel will be suitable for you. If you are coming Singapore with boyfriend then book its sea front view room,this room offers exciting scenery and pleasant environment.

21. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Richardc - welcome, but this thread is a year old (look at the bottom and you'll see last post was July 2012) AND the op said they didn't want to pay the high cost of the CP so were looking for other options!

22. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks-- I actually don't want to stay at the CP, it's a little pricy for a simple overnight. But thanks for the reply. :)

23. markcwj

markcwj Silver Member

Status Points: