Airport Friendly Belts & Buckles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Chimpy, Mar 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone tried these belts? I am thinking of buying a couple as I am getting a bit tired of taking mine off every time that I go through airport security. The photographs make them look good but any reviews or recommendations would be helpful.

http://www.rx4scrubs.net/cms/index.php?belts

Horse, lisamcgu, sc801 and 2 others like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    To a certain extent it doesn't matter if your belt sets off metal detectors. Depending on the airport, you'll get bugged to take it off anyway, especially if they're running a nudeoscope.

My belt does not set off metal detectors. I still take it off frequently due to TSA expectations.

lisamcgu, sc801, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  3. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least things are not quite that bad where I live (Queensland, AU). I only have to take my belt off when it sets off the metal detectors, which is not all of the time. Some of the AU airports detectors seem more sensitive than others.

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    definitely depends on what countries you fly through. I almost never take off my belt in Italy; in the U.S. I have to take it off every time.

lisamcgu, jbcarioca and Chimpy like this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use a money belt by Bison Products of Colorado. Has a plastic buckle and plastic zippered compartment in the belt. Does not set of any metal detector (so far) Other companies that make similar belts. Eagle, Adventure 16, and Silverthorne Products in Vancouver.

6. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen lots of pictures in the past of people hiding harmful objects in their belt. Unfortunately that creates that expectation of TSA (some places) to have everyone remove their belt. No idea if their machine can spot these items though. Sure makes it inconvenient.

7. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wear this belt

[​IMG]
    and it has never set off a WTMD. The only time I take it off (when going through 'security') is when I opt out.

8. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I'm interested, too. Just haven't gotten around to buying one,
    Wonder how the TSA would react if I showed up with a rope around my waist.[​IMG]

savydog, lisamcgu, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have several belts with no metal. Security in some TSA locations make me remove it. CDG frequently does. GIG and GRU never do, nor does SVO. As I go through the list of airports i frequent I see nothing but inconsistency, thus I doubt if these belts make much difference, but I use them anyway. I can always hope.

10. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, do you fly on WN as well? [​IMG]

lisamcgu, Chimpy and 2soonold like this.
  11. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whatever the rule is, it is definitely inconsistently enforced. I've only had to take my belt off maybe 60% of the time ... Although, I'm kinda liking the rope idea [​IMG]

12. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your belt will not set off a metal detector, simply wear it under a vest. I have never been asked to remove my vest in any country, including the US. This includes a sweater-vest (which, if it had sleeves, would have to be removed).

lisamcgu, Chimpy and DeltaExpert like this.
  13. DLNYC
    Original Member

DLNYC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally! I've been looking for a braided belt since 1995...

No, seriously though, may have to pick up a couple.

lisamcgu and Chimpy like this.
  14. lisamcgu
    Original Member

lisamcgu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha ha. Good one :D

Skyvillager and Chimpy like this.
  15. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just wear regular belts and have never had one set off the alarm or been asked to remove it. I fly about 40 round trips a year; all in the US. I've gone through TSA in Birmingham, Dallas, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Denver, San Diego, Charleston, Boston, Philadelphia, Orlando, Chicago, Lexington, Cincinnati, St. Louis, etc.

No idea what you people are doing!

16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    In MSP when nudeoscope bound they've insisted on belt removal the first time or two after the machines were installed. Since then I just remove proactively to avoid dealing with it. Smaller airports are often more militant over such things as well. SDF, CLL, and a few others have insisted on belt removal in the past, or at least had a TSA employee telling everyone "take off your belt, even if it doesn't set off the alarm" right before the scanners. I had enough of a run of agents actively telling people "off with the belts" that I just expect it now. It's not necessarily prevalent, but it's at least semi-common at a few airports I hit a few times a year, plus my home base.

For sure I wouldn't bother with a special belt, as most normal belts go through the metal detector fine.

savydog likes this.