Airport Express Shutting Down Oct 31 2014

Discussion in 'YYZ/YTZ | Toronto Area Airports' started by Captain Oveur, Jun 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The shuttle bus that operates between YYZ and downtown Toronto will end on October 31, 2014.

There's going to be a gap between when that shuts down and when the train from YYZ to Union Station begins service.

Unclear as to when that train starts.

Story

blackjack-21, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not good news for post-October downtown conventions.

3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, it's going to be a tough winter. Not to mention the ongoing construction on the Gardiner.

Even though it takes a little longer, I always take the subway. 192 bus to Kipling subway station (it's an express, one stop along the way). Airport to Yonge & Bloor subway station takes about an hour. $3.00.

4. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good news for Uber.

5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I meant to post that too.

6. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That Airport Express bus has been around for years. I remember taking the bus on my first trip to Toronto in January, 1969, as it was a fast and easy way into the city and made some hotel stops downtown along the way to the Royal York. Guess they've seen the writing on the wall from the oncoming start of the rail service to Union Station, but it was a good alternative to the bus/subway combination, particularly if you had lots of luggage to drag up and down the subway's steps, and much cheaper then a limo or cab for the distance.

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think there's a lot of crossover between people who would regularly use Uber and people who use Airport Express. I'm sure there are some, but not many.

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Company who runs Airport Express partly blames it on the business at the Island Airport. Maybe that's partly true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was partly due to Airport Authority wanting more $$$ for the next contract.

Not to mention seeing the writing on the wall with rail coming in 2015. Airport Authority would be wise to give them a short-term deal until rail comes in.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  9. Absolute99

Absolute99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last estimate I read was May/June 2015 - this is going to be a nightmare 'till then.